Slipped crop? What the heck?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FrizzleFreak, Feb 14, 2009.

1. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, so I was checking out one of my Dark Brahma pullets, and I couldn't find her crop. I thought, no biggie, she hasn't been eating much grass or something. After all, there was a bit of snow on the ground, but it has melted. But when I picked her up, there was a crop sized lump inbetween her legs! :eek:Is it a tumor? There aren't very many feathers there, but she does sleep on plywood. (not my fault, there are plenty of roosts). Can a chicken's crop slip that far? She seems just fine, but if it's a tumor....

2. FrizzleFreak

P.S. the skin looks healthy and yellow where it shows under the feathers. There is a little bit of a callus looking thing, but I think that's just from exposure.

3. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Is she an older hen? It could be ascites, or "water balloon belly". Do a search on here for that, some people have been able to drain it on a regular basis and keep their hens alive. Is it firm or flabby?

4. FrizzleFreak

She's not even a year old yet. It feels exactly like a firm crop, I swear I can even feel grass and rocks. It's the same size as well. I don't want to try draining it yet, in case it is the crop.

5. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I simply know that we have a hen with a extended crop also, and is doing fine. While she looks funny when she runs around, or down to the house, as far as being healthy, she is just fine, just not your perfect specimen, just a nice individual amoung the backyard flock....longevity may be a issue, however I choose to make it a health issue first.

bigzio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by