Slipped crop? What the heck?

FrizzleFreak

Songster
11 Years
Jan 3, 2009
Oregon, west of Portland
Okay, so I was checking out one of my Dark Brahma pullets, and I couldn't find her crop. I thought, no biggie, she hasn't been eating much grass or something. After all, there was a bit of snow on the ground, but it has melted. But when I picked her up, there was a crop sized lump inbetween her legs! :eek:Is it a tumor? There aren't very many feathers there, but she does sleep on plywood. (not my fault, there are plenty of roosts). Can a chicken's crop slip that far? She seems just fine, but if it's a tumor....

Is she an older hen? It could be ascites, or "water balloon belly". Do a search on here for that, some people have been able to drain it on a regular basis and keep their hens alive. Is it firm or flabby?

She's not even a year old yet. It feels exactly like a firm crop, I swear I can even feel grass and rocks. It's the same size as well. I don't want to try draining it yet, in case it is the crop.

I simply know that we have a hen with a extended crop also, and is doing fine. While she looks funny when she runs around, or down to the house, as far as being healthy, she is just fine, just not your perfect specimen, just a nice individual amoung the backyard flock....longevity may be a issue, however I choose to make it a health issue first.

bigzio

Back
Top Bottom