SLW or........not???

Quote:
Hi Amarie!

I was wondering too if the big concentration of white around his head and neck means that the feathers will come in like that, which is what the SLW roos look like feathered out, right?

Your's probably has the right kind of comb and not the single comb like mine!

I think he is just an example of a hatchery single comb SLW. I would say a roo from the comb already. I don't think he is a mutt just bad breeding since hatcheries more focus on production and not the right look of there birds.

Here's mine at about 2 1/2 weeks old (single comb SLW pullet)
100_1973.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
The comb on yours looks a lot like the comb on mine...is it pinkish too?

I don't mind if he or she doesn't have the right look ...the fun personality makes up for it!
smile.png

I'm just after dual purpose laying/meat birds at this point in my chicken career. Although I have to admit that looking at the gorgeous breeder birds here makes me lust after better bred birds
droolin.gif

Quote:
The single comb pops up in more than just hatchery birds. It is common for show breeders to use it to gain fertility, and it pops up in all kinds of wyandottes from what I've seen.

Quote:
The comb on yours looks a lot like the comb on mine...is it pinkish too?

I don't mind if he or she doesn't have the right look ...the fun personality makes up for it!
smile.png

I'm just after dual purpose laying/meat birds at this point in my chicken career. Although I have to admit that looking at the gorgeous breeder birds here makes me lust after better bred birds
droolin.gif

When she was around that age it didn't have any pink on it yet. Her comb stayed yellow for a while but it did grow large very quick.

I totaly understand about wanting one of those beautiful breeder birds.
droolin.gif
Katy on here has some BEAUTIFUL ones. My SLW is always the conversation starter when people come over...even if she doesn't fit the standard she still is pretty to look at.

Not just hatchery birds throw chicks with single combs. It's semi common for higher quality SLWs to throw a single combed chick now and then.
smile.png
Looks like a little rooster to me. Cute as a bug, too!

Thanks for the info Steve and CrazyFowl...good to know!

NewChickMom, I'm sure I'll think my birds are beautiful no matter what
smile.png
But dang, those big round gorgeous birds are a treat to look at!

I'm really looking forward to seeing them grow up and get the heck out of scraggly chick stage...although I know they're going to look a lot worse than they do now at 11 days before they look like "real" chickens!

Back
Top Bottom