Sly fox wasn't so sly last night.

I've read that gray fox are smart and most of the time, they don't fall for traps. If you released it, you'll never be able to catch it in a cage again.

Well, for those of you that said he would come back they were right. This morning he was back in the trap again. Darwin made sure he doesn't visit the coop anymore.

Wow! I didn't expect so soon! Good on ya frigginchi! And Darwin! Sure is a pretty fox, though. We don't get the grays up in this region of Ontario. But you better believe, it's the gun, if one goes after my birds! Well done.

I guess a live quail as bait is too irresistable.

Btw...should I?

Pan Boiled Fox (serves 6-8)

This recipe is inspired by my Greek friend's father who cooked wild
mountain goat using this (Ikarian) method. The flavour is extremely
similar to fox. So, as you can see, very occasionally - and in the
interest of research - I have tasted non-roadkill meat!

INGREDIENTS (all approximate measurements)
2 large onions roughly chopped
Boned or still-on-the-bone legs of one medium to large fox (cut into 8
pieces if still on the bone)
6 medium sized carrots (cut into thick inch long batons)
6 medium sized courgettes (cut into thick inch and a half long batons)
(with flowers if available)
1 tea cup olive oil
2 bay leaves
4-6 whole pepper corns
2-3 pieces of allspice
2-3 lemons
2 large eggs
Sea salt (fairly liberal amounts) and ground black pepper
Water

METHOD
In a large saucepan gently brown the onions in olive oil. Add the meat and cook in the onion/oil mix for a few minutes. Add the bay leaves, allspice, pepper corns, salt, ground pepper,juice of one lemon, carrots and a few cups of water to the pan. Cover with a lid and simmer for half an hour stirring occasionally. Add the courgettes. Add more water if necessary. Cook for about another half-hour at a slow but steady boil.
Beat the eggs and mix with remaining lemon juice. Gradually ladle off all the hot cooking liquor from the pan and carefully beat it in with the eggs.
Return to pan. Serve with hunks of good rustic bread to soak up the juices.

Last edited:
Funny you should mention this. Someone posted something similar for yote on another forum. It was done on a cedar plank. By the end of the recipe, it said to ditch the coyote & eat the plank! Lol! Apparently, wild canines do not translate to good eats, no matter what you do to it! Give it a try & let me know how it goes! Stranger things are eaten everyday somewhere.

Yeah, we keep a .22 handy as foxes and coyotes are abundant here. They are shot on site. They are pretty, but it's our job to protect our domestic animals. Relocating doesn't usually work.

You could probably sell that fox for his hide. We sell our coyote carcasses in the winter, don't even have to skin them and we'll get $20 or so depending on the year.

Oh I know there are plenty of foxes, skunks, possums, coyote, bobcats and mountain lions out there I have to worry about. I leave the mountain lions alone because they can eat me...lol plus they keep the deer population tolerable and are illegal to shoot/trap. I'm trying to live with these wild animals since I'm encroaching into their backyard. I always give them a shot (pun intended) to learn to stay away from my chickens if not Darwin has a go at them.

This is my backyard:

Set thee trap again, I bet there is another gray out there.

Right on, primalchick! I was going to say something about the hide. There is the time commitment to do your own, or the cost & time of a taxidermist.
At least selling the carcass can help pay for the ammo.
Chickengeorgeto makes a good point. If there's one, there's probably more. At least a mate.

Back
Top Bottom