Small coop finished - Studio 54 (pic heavy)

ONSTAD1

Songster
7 Years
May 20, 2012
Colorado Springs, CO
My Coop
My Coop
4 weekends... $375 for coop and run.

Coop is 4x4x4 and run is 4x8 plus 4x4 under coop.

Brooding chicks I got last night in coop.

a simple start

coop with nest boxes that mid construction were removed and replaced with external nest box (see final pics)

Base for coop to sit on. Wrapped this with hardware cloth before final assembly.

Built run as "one piece" wrapping sides with hardware cloth and top and bottom with 2x4 welded wire fencing.

Took two people to "assemble" the three modular pieces.

covered wire "floor" with 3 in of soil.

Got too hot in coop so I built this "screen door" to allow me to keep large door open during the hottest part of the day

At about 2 weeks they could cruise right over this screen...just opened it up and let them "free range" in the run after that.

This was quite the experience. Loved every minute of it. Let me know if you have any questions...I'm sure I made many mistakes you could benefit from ; )

Last edited:
Cute coop! When the girls get bigger then can and will fly over your screen door. Its a good idea, so you might want to plan a more permanent screen setup.

I popped that screen together in about 5 mins this am...I figure by the time they are big enough to fly over the screen they
will be big enough to have the run of the run. We'll see I guess.

Last edited:
Love the run...may borrow it for inspiration. My question is about rain, though. We live in an arid region of CA but it rains in the winter months Oct-Mar... Will you adding a roof or tarp for water protection? Just curious... last winter our hens' pen was a muddy mess so I want to get started now before the rains come...

Love the run...may borrow it for inspiration. My question is about rain, though. We live in an arid region of CA but it rains in the winter months Oct-Mar... Will you adding a roof or tarp for water protection? Just curious... last winter our hens' pen was a muddy mess so I want to get started now before the rains come...

I've thought about it, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I thought about putting on a corrugated roof on it,but our snow and rain hardly ever falls "straight down"... not sure what good it would do. Considered just putting down.s.good layer of.shavings over any mud during winter months to keep things "cleaner"...this is definitely a work in progress!

I figure by the time they are big enough to fly over the screen thel E will be big enough to have the run of the run.
Yes, but the ventilation of the screen door is a good idea. The entire front of my coop is hardware wire; it keeps everything cool, dry, and smelling nice. Come winter I'll add solid panels with vents. Now, in rain I just use an ugly blue tarp.
big_smile.png

Great job!
thumbsup.gif
I like how the run is tall enough that you don't have to squat down. The vents you put in for insulation are great, you definitely thought everything out! Great attention to details! Cute little chickies, too!

Yes, but the ventilation of the screen door is a good idea. The entire front of my coop is hardware wire; it keeps everything cool, dry, and smelling nice. Come winter I'll add solid panels with vents. Now, in rain I just use an ugly blue tarp.
big_smile.png
Got me thinking for sure... a "full sized" one (trapezoid shape, think that is a trapezoid. It's been awhile since Jr high geometry ; ) wouldn't slip over and then in tuck in behind the removable 8" plywood fence that is used to keep the deep litter in. It would have to fit it directly in the door jam. I could make the frame out if 1"x3" and it would seat in there pretty nicely. The crux would be figuring out how to attach it so it would be easily removable, but not impede closing of the door when it wasn't in place... a couple of eye/hook latch thingys? velcro??

600x450px-LL-7a3640b9_coopscreendoor.jpeg

Great job!
thumbsup.gif
I like how the run is tall enough that you don't have to squat down. The vents you put in for insulation are great, you definitely thought everything out! Great attention to details! Cute little chickies, too!
Thanks, but not everything was thought out...there was more than one occasion where I just started screwing wood together hoping for the best ; ) The nest boxes are a grand example! ended up putting those on very last after whole thing was assembled.

The run was going too be 5' tall, but doing a little figuring after purchasing the wire it turned out i had just enough on my 50' roll of hardware cloth to make it 6.5. The 2x4x8s cost the same whether I cut them to 5' or 6.5 '. I had a 6x4 piece when I was done...now I have a 4x4 piece...just enough to make the big screen door

Back
Top Bottom