Small Eggs (Do they get bigger)

ChxLadyMary

Chirping
Apr 21, 2020
I have a chicken who's been laying for a few weeks now. The eggs are tiny. How long does it take for them to get bigger? She is a Blue Splash Maran

I have a chicken who's been laying for a few weeks now. The eggs are tiny. How long does it take for them to get bigger? She is a Blue Splash Maran
Is it a bantam or standard Marans?

Usually they start with smaller eggs that gradually get bigger over the next 3-6 weeks. But it is important to supply them with adequate protein level in their feed, otherwise the eggs will stay small.

The very first egg I got was 17 grams, on August 2. (I got a digital kitchen scale for baking. <$20 and I use it for all kinds of stuff. VERY useful.) The first egg from the second layer was about 25. They are 6 months old (Black Australorps) and now lay eggs in the mid-40 grams, and an occasional double yolker at 65-68. I feed Nutrena Naturewise All Flock that has 20% protein, with oyster and egg shell on the side because I also have a 6 month old cockerel.

I am assuming the eggs will get bigger, as they aren't even to medium sized yet.

Eggs are still miracles to me. Even though I wish they would get bigger, I'm in awe of stuff like Japanese Beetles and squash seeds and bugs and weird brown pellets turning into eggs.

The very first egg I got was 17 grams, on August 2. (I got a digital kitchen scale for baking. <$20 and I use it for all kinds of stuff. VERY useful.) The first egg from the second layer was about 25. They are 6 months old (Black Australorps) and now lay eggs in the mid-40 grams, and an occasional double yolker at 65-68. I feed Nutrena Naturewise All Flock that has 20% protein, with oyster and egg shell on the side because I also have a 6 month old cockerel.

I am assuming the eggs will get bigger, as they aren't even to medium sized yet.

Eggs are still miracles to me. Even though I wish they would get bigger, I'm in awe of stuff like Japanese Beetles and squash seeds and bugs and weird brown pellets turning into eggs.
I agree...the miracle of reproduction is amazing!

Back
Top Bottom