Small pet/rodent thread! Mice, rats, hamsters, gerbils, etc!

I’m going to add that the only reason Rabbits do this is because the are abused and mistreated everywhere. If you ever see a rabbit in a cage just realize that these cages are not suitable for even a hamster. A Rabbit also must have an unlimited supply of hay, which is really commonly not give To them. Unreasonable owners who tend to forget to feed or refill their rabbits hay, kill rabbits every day Bc rabbits cannot go more than 8 hours without eating or will die. I believe in the Free-ranging of rabbits in homes and consider and form of small cage animal abuse. Pens and runs that are large enough for the rabbit to do “zoomies” is acceptable as long as the rabbit is allowed put of it for at least an hour a day

this is just my opinion which I feel strongly about. I hope I can help someone who has been given mis information (which is common from pet stores telling people that small cages r ok) I just really am trying to get the word out that rabbits are not simple keepers and require a lot more than they receive
Rabbits are definitely NOT starter pets. I agree, it’s incredibly frustrating. The same with fish and aquariums.
There is NO such thing as a starter pet! :mad:
I have not done much research, but have heard from a couple of rabbit people that maybe there was something wrong with that kit or they could have gotten badly spooked. It doesn’t really have anything to do with their treatment.

Yes! I’m glad I’m not the only one on here trying to help rabbits get the life they deserve 🙂
Rabbits deserve so much more than people realize! They're smart, sweet, playful, and amazing creatures. Sadly though a lot of people get them for little kids, neglect and abuse them, then dump them after the child gets bored with their new 'toy' and the parents aare left with tons of work so they think it's best to 'release' them. Then, they usually don't live for more than a few days because they're domesticated animals that depend on humans for all their needs.

I would love to foster a rabbit soon. I can't have a rabbit right now since I already have two dogs and I would just want more space to have stuff for the rabbit since I would spoil them.
For now I'd like to help put rabbit rescues and animal sanctuaries with small animals. I'm actually going this week to help some rabbit at a sanctuary and get them a large space I side to run and play with tunnels, teepees, lots of toys, and hay.

I worked at a pet store for nine years. Only going to make a short post since I'm at work.
I've had many rodent pets over the years. I will say it depends on what you want as a pet for suggestions.
Rats are very intelligent (about the same as your average dog). You can train them. But just like dogs they need lots of mental and physical stimulation. All rodents need both but I'd say rats need a ton.
Mice are a bit dumber than rats. But they tend to have more similar personalities across the board rather than with rats are a bit more individuals. That's not saying mice don't have personalities.
Hamsters, it can depend a ton on the breed and their personalities. Robos tend to be the 'nicest' in that they don't bite (at least, I was never bit and one of my main jobs was cleaning the cages a lot haha). Syrians tend to be friendly. I never had much luck with the dwarfs lol. They were almost always neurotic. I did enjoy the squeaking of the djungarians :)
I used to babysit some chinchillas. So soft but need to be kept cold!

Cannibalism is usually the animals aren't getting enough stimulation, nor enough room, nor food/water.

Most of these I've had as pets. The rats were fun. Tumors aren't though. I'd say, I'd probably get mice again if I got rodents or the like. Come in lots of colors and styles and are generally friendly. Also easy to sex at a young age (only female mice have nipples).

Ahh cages nooo! I know I might sound a little intense but I really don’t believe in the use of cages bc most pet stores will recommend to small cages! Never listen to the pet store they just want to sell their stuff. Look up “bad cage reviews” on the internet- and “good cage reviews” I just want to make sure that any small animal is given proper care- you wouldn’t want to be locked up in a cabinet all day so why do the same to your pet? My guinea pig has a CNC cage which is a great size-look those up they r great for GPIGS and maybe rats to
By 'cages' I mean enclosures-not those little tiny garbage ones!

I worked at a pet store for nine years. Only going to make a short post since I'm at work.
I've had many rodent pets over the years. I will say it depends on what you want as a pet for suggestions.
Rats are very intelligent (about the same as your average dog). You can train them. But just like dogs they need lots of mental and physical stimulation. All rodents need both but I'd say rats need a ton.
Mice are a bit dumber than rats. But they tend to have more similar personalities across the board rather than with rats are a bit more individuals. That's not saying mice don't have personalities.
Hamsters, it can depend a ton on the breed and their personalities. Robos tend to be the 'nicest' in that they don't bite (at least, I was never bit and one of my main jobs was cleaning the cages a lot haha). Syrians tend to be friendly. I never had much luck with the dwarfs lol. They were almost always neurotic. I did enjoy the squeaking of the djungarians :)
I used to babysit some chinchillas. So soft but need to be kept cold!

Cannibalism is usually the animals aren't getting enough stimulation, nor enough room, nor food/water.

Most of these I've had as pets. The rats were fun. Tumors aren't though. I'd say, I'd probably get mice again if I got rodents or the like. Come in lots of colors and styles and are generally friendly. Also easy to sex at a young age (only female mice have nipples).
Good to know on the mice and chinchillas. Thanks!
Space could have easily been our problem, especially since they kept multiplying unexpectedly, lol.

I had two mice a long time ago and would recommend to get a 10 gallon fish tank with a lid (this can fit 2-3 female mice) these are way cheaper and they can’t chew the bars and break their teeth they are also easy to clean.

By 'cages' I mean enclosures-not those little tiny garbage ones!
Yes! O my god I just found THIS PIECE OF GARBAGE THAT I JUST WANT TO BURN on the internet marketed towards GUINEA PIGS AND RABBITS- this is not even suitable for a dwarf hamster what are these pet store brands thinking? This is not acceptable!

Attachments

• AC1CF571-9259-45AF-BAC6-0F77A5ED9FFF.jpeg
    AC1CF571-9259-45AF-BAC6-0F77A5ED9FFF.jpeg
    443.6 KB · Views: 6
Yes! O my god I just found THIS PIECE OF GARBAGE THAT I JUST WANT TO BURN on the internet marketed towards GUINEA PIGS AND RABBITS- this is not even suitable for a dwarf hamster what are these pet store brands thinking? This is not acceptable!
I know, hate those so much :hit
Why would anybody think it's okay to put an animal in there??
And the pets stores care sheets are ABSOLUTELY HORRENDOUS!
I'll attach a picture of the one for rabbits in a bit

Back
Top Bottom