Small rough eggs

PatinOxford

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 27, 2014
I have two adult hens, one 2 years old (Americauna, "Thelma"), one 3 years old (Black Australorp, "Bessie"). Bessie has stopped laying altogether after a quite good start in early March. Thelma stopped for a while, and has restarted, but her eggs are small -- like a pullet's first eggs -- and the surface is rough.

They free range around roughly two acres of mixed foliage, lawn, a barn, flower beds, and so on. We do not use any pesticides, herbicides, or other "cides." They are cooped at night and have Layena constantly available, which they eat in the morning before they are sprung from prison. I have offered calcium which they ignore. They spend their days hunting for bugs and mice and toads and other yummy stuff. Their treats (so they come when called) are birdseed, mealworms, bits of fruit, and the like.

Any ideas about this? I have six pullets who should start laying in September so I feel there's something I need to fix now would be a good time to know.

Pat in Oxford, PA

You might want to switch to a different kind of ration. A layer ration will have too much calcium for older birds that don't lay continuously. Too much calcium can cause rough shells, and sluggish birds in my experiences. Feed something like a non medicated starter grower with a separate bowl of oyster shells for any calcium needs.

You might want to switch to a different kind of ration. A layer ration will have too much calcium for older birds that don't lay continuously. Too much calcium can cause rough shells, and sluggish birds in my experiences. Feed something like a non medicated starter grower with a separate bowl of oyster shells for any calcium needs.
Thanks. Since the pullets are on a starter-grower for a while more I'll give it a shot. Given the amount of calcium they get from small rodents I doubt they need a supplement.

Thanks. Since the pullets are on a starter-grower for a while more I'll give it a shot. Given the amount of calcium they get from small rodents I doubt they need a supplement.
It's a cheap insurance policy to offer oyster shells free choice. They often don't consume much, but if it isn't available when they crave it they may look to freshly laid eggs for calcium.

Back
Top Bottom