Smallest egg ever!

GC-Raptor

Free Ranging
7 Years
Jul 26, 2016
Connecticut, USA
In 4 years of keeping chickens. Today I found the smallest egg ever under the roost.
It was in my Barred Rocks coop and I found it when I checked for eggs after 9 am.
I believe it was laid overnight. I didn't see it when I opened the coop at 5 am.

The strange thing is all my hens have been laying for weeks. So it wasn't the first egg since they resumed laying from winter break.
The previous small egg weighed 7 Grams. Today's egg weighed 4 Grams.
20200401_102902.jpg
20200401_102930.jpg

Here it is next to the previous small egg.
20200401_102104_resized.jpg

My Barred Rocks are 19 months old. GC

In 4 years of keeping chickens. Today I found the smallest egg ever under the roost.
It was in my Barred Rocks coop and I found it when I checked for eggs after 9 am.
I believe it was laid overnight. I didn't see it when I opened the coop at 5 am.

The strange thing is all my hens have been laying for weeks. So it wasn't the first egg since they resumed laying from winter break.
The previous small egg weighed 7 Grams. Today's egg weighed 4 Grams.View attachment 2071437View attachment 2071438
Here it is next to the previous small egg.View attachment 2071443
My Barred Rocks are 19 months old. GC
I wish I would have thought to weigh this little egg that I found in one of the nest boxes today. I’ve never had one of my girls lay a fairy egg before but I am assuming that is what it was. My girls have been in full production mode and laying for over a month now. I’m so curious as to which hen laid it. I just don’t know.
3E559201-BFD4-4BB5-82AC-9FFE3B2FB028.jpeg

This is it after I cracked it open.
D17EA64F-C196-4AE0-A4F5-FB2B8F0CF8D0.jpeg

Craziest thing I have seen.

I wish I would have thought to weigh this little egg that I found in one of the nest boxes today. I’ve never had one of my girls lay a fairy egg before but I am assuming that is what it was. My girls have been in full production mode and laying for over a month now. I’m so curious as to which hen laid it. I just don’t know.
View attachment 2071813
This is it after I cracked it open.
View attachment 2071814
Craziest thing I have seen.
Wow, it's got a yolk.
From what I've read Fairy eggs don't usually have a yolk.
That's amazing. GC

Wow, it's got a yolk.
From what I've read Fairy eggs don't usually have a yolk.
That's amazing. GC
:idunno I know! That is what is so crazy about this. I thought at first maybe it was from some other animal, like a snake or lizard or something? It was a hard shell. Not easy to crack open. No eggs have gone missing and my girls are in and out of the box often enough that if a snake was around I think I would know about it. I just don't know. I hope whichever girl laid it is ok. I will keep an eye out on them.

ETA: Ya know, I wish I would have talked to my hubby and did google/research before I post so I wouldn't look so dumb. I found out that snake eggs are leathery. So there is that. And we have these little lizards and my hubby reminded me that I actually found a nest on the ground once. Had these itty bitty eggs. Then a curious hen came over to see what the fuss was about and quickly ate them up. So they are probably soft as well. I need a facepalm emoji lol!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom