Smarter Turkey Breeds

PawsClawsandHooves

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2017
Maine
So I've often heard that turkeys are the dumbest fowl- but I prefer birds with at least half a brain cell, it seems to keep them out of a trouble a bit more around here. Does anyone have any opinions on specific breeds that tend to be smarter than others? I know it's very bird-dependent but I didn't find any discussion from searching online and I'd love to hear any and all experience in the matter.

I have two turkey hen pets. Both acquired as young adults. They know their names & come when I call them. Try that with a chicken. We take walks together & they stay right with me. Love people & will let anyone give them a hug. Especially kids. Will hop in your lap & settle down for a nap. They are curious & fun to have around. I think they are better pets than chickens.

So I've often heard that turkeys are the dumbest fowl- but I prefer birds with at least half a brain cell, it seems to keep them out of a trouble a bit more around here. Does anyone have any opinions on specific breeds that tend to be smarter than others? I know it's very bird-dependent but I didn't find any discussion from searching online and I'd love to hear any and all experience in the matter.
There is only one breed and that is Turkey. There are many Varieties of the breed Turkey.

Just because you read on the Internet that turkeys are dumb does not mean that it is true.

Turkeys do not have the same amount of instinctive behaviors as do chickens but are far more intelligent than chickens because they have a much greater capacity to learn.

Turkeys aren't dumb at all. I will never know where that idea comes from. :idunno There is a definite difference between them and other poultry like chickens. Chicks hatch with the instinct to forage and look for food. Turkey poults hatch and need to be taught by their parents or you, where food is, and what food is. So turkeys actually are much smarter because they can learn easier than chickens can. My poults look to me, my chicks generally run from me.

Pick a variety you like. Broad breasted are for eating and won't live long. Heritage varieties can reproduce and live much longer lives.

And just in case you are wondering, none of my turkeys ever drowned out in the rain. Rain doesn't bother turkeys because of their water proof feathers so turkeys don't usually seek cover when it rains.

That all makes a lot of sense, thanks! I've discovered that other fowl do seem to vary a bit roughly (very roughly) based on type so I assumed turkeys were similar, apprently not so much- but that makes my decision a lot easier :)
Turkeys are also very curious and inquisitive, so expect them to be everywhere in your business if you don't keep them contained. Mine are like a bunch of excited kids whenever I let them out. They especially love construction and the noises that go along with it. They also can be a gang of thugs with my chickens and ducks.

Many people who try turkeys for eating find out they like the birds and have troubles going through with making them dinner. If you have turkeys you will always have a willing companion when you are outside.

Turkeys are not dumb! So pick a color that you like. I've had Bourbons and Beltsville Whites as pets, but I've always wanted a Royal Palm because they're so pretty. Sadly, I can't have turkeys where I live at the moment. A previous poster was correct when they say the turkey is curious and if they're tamed, they always want to investigate what you're doing. Mine always wanted to sleep on my lap if I sat down!

Turkeys are amazing. And honestly, I expected them to be a bit like chickens. But they are not at all. I dont think they are stupid, not at all. They are very determined, that's for sure!

Funny little things, if you move something around in the yard or their run, they'll kick up a big stink :lau

My little ones, follow me everywhere -even taking our the garbage! So funny!

They are literally my favorite animal right now (not including my doggies), I just love love love them.

Don't think I could eat them though :sick

There is only one breed and that is Turkey. There are many Varieties of the breed Turkey.

Just because you read on the Internet that turkeys are dumb does not mean that it is true.

Turkeys do not have the same amount of instinctive behaviors as do chickens but are far more intelligent than chickens because they have a much greater capacity to learn.

Look, I came here in all humbleness asking for some input. If what I heard is incorrect, then please do say so- I'm a champion of chickens in particular not being anywhere near as dumb as their reputation, although I've seen a wide variety of intelligence in various types of chicken. Your reply came across as arrogant and condescending. Frankly I think humans are plenty stupid in plenty of areas, so you can put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Last edited:
Turkeys aren't dumb at all. I will never know where that idea comes from. :idunno There is a definite difference between them and other poultry like chickens. Chicks hatch with the instinct to forage and look for food. Turkey poults hatch and need to be taught by their parents or you, where food is, and what food is. So turkeys actually are much smarter because they can learn easier than chickens can. My poults look to me, my chicks generally run from me.

Pick a variety you like. Broad breasted are for eating and won't live long. Heritage varieties can reproduce and live much longer lives.

And just in case you are wondering, none of my turkeys ever drowned out in the rain. Rain doesn't bother turkeys because of their water proof feathers so turkeys don't usually seek cover when it rains.

That all makes a lot of sense, thanks! I've discovered that other fowl do seem to vary a bit roughly (very roughly) based on type so I assumed turkeys were similar, apprently not so much- but that makes my decision a lot easier :)

Turkeys are also very curious and inquisitive, so expect them to be everywhere in your business if you don't keep them contained. Mine are like a bunch of excited kids whenever I let them out. They especially love construction and the noises that go along with it. They also can be a gang of thugs with my chickens and ducks.

Many people who try turkeys for eating find out they like the birds and have troubles going through with making them dinner. If you have turkeys you will always have a willing companion when you are outside.

Haha, they sound like more domesticated guineas! They're the ones who spend the most time "helping" outside around here :D

Back
Top Bottom