Smashed chick.

I have had 4 clutches of chicks but I haven't had to brood them myself for a couple years as I normally have a broody hen. This chick has been "dead" twice now that I had to blow into it's mouth and stimulate and warm it up for it to slowly come back. This time I will keep it separated with a tiny friend. I would like to see it drinking and eating alone for a couple days before I'll risk putting her back with the healthy ones. This was also the first time I've gotten shipped chicks.
I agree with keeping it separated. Wait until you‘re sure it’s fully thriving again before you reintroduce it back with the others. Just a suggestion, since I’ve had chicks that would act fine for a day or so then begin to weaken again. That’s when I’d decide to keep them separated longer until I was sure they were going to be strong enough to hold their own around other chicks. You have another little one for companionship and comfort. That can help to encourage this chick to move and eat and drink more. I think what you’re doing is a wonderful and worthwhile effort.

I’m so sad to hear. The lengths you went to, in order to preserve her life, were above and beyond.

I have had 4 clutches of chicks but I haven't had to brood them myself for a couple years as I normally have a broody hen. This chick has been "dead" twice now that I had to blow into it's mouth and stimulate and warm it up for it to slowly come back. This time I will keep it separated with a tiny friend. I would like to see it drinking and eating alone for a couple days before I'll risk putting her back with the healthy ones. This was also the first time I've gotten shipped chicks.

It actually sounds like what you’ve done so far has given the chick a chance. Perhaps the “wind” got knocked out of it. If you don’t think anything’s out of place (broken), keep doing what you have been and see if it improves enough to take some more drops. You’re keeping it warm…. so important. Sorry I can’t be of more help to you. Good Wishes for your wee chick.
It is chirping now but still hasn't opened it's eyes. Just not sure if I should keep it in my bra or set up a tiny box with a heat lamp in my bathroom.

Back
Top Bottom