Snack Ideas For Finicky Duckers

With my ducks it depends on the day. They are super picky. Fresh pumpkin not. Honeydew melon yes - as long as I gave it to them in quartered large pieces with rinds intact - they would not eat the pieces when I choppedthem into small bits and removed the rind. Frozen peas they love regardless. Chopped cabbage is a yes. Leafy lettuces are okay, but not iceberg. Pineapple and pomengrante no. Cukes yes. Peaches are a no. Apples are a no. Potatoes selectively as long as they are mashed well and still warm. Cantaloupe is a no. Trial and error. I have quite"wasting" quantities of anything until they try it first.....just like little kids! "Try it, you might like it, and if you don't I will save it for the humans instead of attempting to spoil the ducks - more!" They prefer dandelions, their feed, and frogs when they can find them!

WE HAVE A WINNER!! Frozen peas! BUT, I swear that ducks can spit! Big Head nibbled at a couple and spit them out. I left a few peas sprinkled on the ground and left the bowl out. I returned an hour later and there was no trace! So, I'll keep experimenting. Next I may try warm oatmeal with some dried mealworms sprinkled on top.
Thank you for all the awesome ideas! Now I am thinking that it's not them it's me... it's all in the delivery I guess!

My girls aren't laying - BIG TIME winter weather here - so I wanted to try somemore extra treats for them. I had made a garland for the chickens with brussel sprouts and radishes and had some leftovers, so I decided to try them out on the duckers. I peeled the brussel sprout leaves off and scattered them on the ground and left. They scarffed them! Today I chopped the radishes pretty small along with a litle bit of left over broccoli - GONE!
Yeah!!
thumbsup.gif

Its the dead of winter here in Neada, the temps are really cold with a weebit of snow on the grown.. So my ducks ( jumbo pekin) and 10 chickens are getting some extra treats everyday.. They all seem to like this combo... Boiled carrots,apples, canned green beans all mixed into warm oatmeal that is slimmie for a lack of a better word..ive noticed the ducks like it wet cause easier to swallow.. They also get grit in this mixture as well. And the everyday scratch and egg maker combo in the feeders and nice warm water to drink (i change the water about 6 times a day just to keep them warmed up).at night the ducks go lay in a foot of fresh straw under cover and sides blocked. Chickens to the coop... They seem to be extremely happy.

Its the dead of winter here in Neada, the temps are really cold with a weebit of snow on the grown.. So my ducks ( jumbo pekin) and 10 chickens are getting some extra treats everyday.. They all seem to like this combo... Boiled carrots,apples, canned green beans all mixed into warm oatmeal that is slimmie for a lack of a better word..ive noticed the ducks like it wet cause easier to swallow.. They also get grit in this mixture as well. And the everyday scratch and egg maker combo in the feeders and nice warm water to drink (i change the water about 6 times a day just to keep them warmed up).at night the ducks go lay in a foot of fresh straw under cover and sides blocked. Chickens to the coop... They seem to be extremely happy.
Sounds yummy
wink.png
now
welcome-byc.gif
and don't forget the pics..
pop.gif

My girls eat anything my 3 pekin drakes however think their some part of a high class royal society and are very picky but they love following. I got all my ideas from the ultimate duck treat list on this site it was extremely helpful she put stars by things they would enjoy the most. My babies favorites are peas, bananas, seedless grapes, plain boiled eggs w/shells, bok choy, plain cooked oatmeal no sugar or butter and plain Cheerios in the pool is always a hoot! Just make sure everything's chopped or mashed for them. I Fix them daily treat in country crook containers sprinkle little brewers yeast on top fill with warm water and serve you'll be a super star.

Back
Top Bottom