Snake vs. Decoy Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by olddairyfarm, Nov 28, 2007.

1. olddairyfarm

olddairyfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2007
    Dixie
    My mother passed along a great story from one of her coworkers today...
    The coworker said that when he was a child, a snake got into the nestbox and ate one of the fake marble eggs (that was in there to encourage the hens from laying all over creation--a decoy.) Well, the snake got stuck somewhere in the barn on its way out. A real egg would have crushed, but the marble egg wouldn't make it through the hole. When they found the snake, it had been dead for a while. They cut it open in an attempt to retrieve the egg, but the acid in the snake had all but destroyed the marble egg!

Moral of the story: Always eat em' scrambled!

2. SisterFlash

SisterFlash Chillin' With My Peeps

I pefer my snake fried. Thanks for the tip [​IMG]

3. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow. We put out wooden eggs in a nest box on our porch for a sick bird (she had trouble making into the coop at that time). One day, no wooden egg. Huh??? Months later we had another box for a sick girl placed down near the coop. Again, wooden egg disappeared. That day DH said he'd seen a raven w/ a huge white 'egg' in its mouth.

Well, at least we know there's no way the poor raven actually ate the darn things. Altho they still may be trying.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by