snakes eating eggs

ccshambhala

Songster
11 Years
Sep 8, 2008
Va
My chickens and guineas and turkeys free range all day. The coop is built like Fort Knox - but the door is wide open all day while they are free ranging. We have had periodic problems with snakes. We strongly believe in relocating and have had to relocate several in a week - big ones too! (My method for the snake squeamish involves locking them IN the run with me and shooing them into a 5 gallon bucket laid on it's side - they really do just want to get away - then standing the bucket up and putting the lid on for immediate relocation) Today however we got only 6 eggs - and we have 21 laying chickens! I am sure we have a couple snakes about again - altho I have not managed to catch them in the act
sad.png
I've been reading about the sulfur/lime - but I have no idea how to spread it across the doorway without the chickens getting into it. Does anyone have any suggestions?
thanx
smile.png

If they are eating to much, get more chickens. Sorry, I am on the snakes side.

I've been reading about the sulfur/lime - but I have no idea how to spread it across the doorway without the chickens getting into it.

It won't stop snakes so it won't matter how you spread it​

hu.gif

crossing fingers that third response will actually be helpful..... (or at least intended to be!)
fl.gif

Last edited:
I remember as a child my Grandmother starting a fire outside and throw sulfur in it...it chased away everything for quite awhile, then she would spread the ash around the hen house and the main house also...I have not tried that, but I tried using lime. Well the snake literally crossed the lime and climbed under a large piece of lime stone that had gotten wet in the bag and hid under it when I went after it.. I found a snake 2 nights ago trying to go into my hen house. I ran back to the house and got Vinegar and poured it around the doorway. I was told it would not go around it..so far so good.

Snakes are easy to chase. Tractor Supply has a snake repellent using clove oil and two other ingredients I cant remember. Snakes use their "Jacobs organ' to actually taste scents. Anything thats very aromatic will screw them up. The camphor in ordinary moth balls works well as a repellant... You didnt say what kind of snake. I gather its probably a black rat snake or black racer. Both are attracted to eggs and young birds.

Snakes are easy to chase. Tractor Supply has a snake repellent using clove oil and two other ingredients I cant remember. Snakes use their "Jacobs organ' to actually taste scents. Anything thats very aromatic will screw them up. The camphor in ordinary moth balls works well as a repellant... You didnt say what kind of snake. I gather its probably a black rat snake or black racer. Both are attracted to eggs and young birds.

Thank you Thank you D'Angelo N Va. & Fireflyranch
love.gif

D'Angelo N Va. - I will try the vinegar today as I have that in the house!

Fireflyranch - I had heard the same thing - I planted mint next to the coop (and lemon balm) hoping to keep the snakes away (but there is none in front of the door - I tried to get low growing mint to grow there (looks like moss) but it didn't take - it might be time to try again! Iwill try essential oils if the vinegar does not work. We have always found black snakes - I believe black rat but I am not sure. One was the biggest I've ever seen tho - over 6' and later that day a 4'.... I do not mind sharing one every now and then - but these guys like to make a it a daily habit - and bring friends lol!

Interested in what happens. Ive had 5 different rat snakes of different sizes and colors, gray and black, in 3 days. We relocated 3 big grays over 1/2 mile away and two decided to return and were mating in the droppings area of my layer flock just an hour ago. Caught the smaller male. Going to try what I have, myrrh and thyme oils with vinegar, along perimeter. They are interested in eggs, even plastic ones and chicks safely behind hardware mesh enclosure. We do have some mothballs under the house and in feed shed. Don't want to put those under the brooder though. Thyme oil shouldn't affect older chicks. ? My husband is a city boy and is beside himself, checking on the girls every half hour for more snakes. He's got a few in the trashcan already.

We just came in from spraying and sprinkling a mixture of ac vinegar, oils of white thyme, clove and myrrh outside and sprinkling inside along bottom of brooder, roosts and nest boxes. A large gray ratsnake did not like it at all. She avoided all the treated areas. Sprayed a little near her and she retreated into my feed shed. Do not recommend this inside enclosures that are not well ventilated. Or maybe just the oils mixed without vinegar. Our layer/brooder house is large and mostly wire mesh. Good luck folks!

Back
Top Bottom