Snakes!!

bantamsohyeah

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 14, 2009
Edgehill, Georgia
I just killed a snake who was trying to swallow one of my biddies. He had gotten the head down his throat and I lost it. I chopped his head off. Of course the biddie was already dead and that made me mad. Since I live way out in the country I need to find out what to put around the outside of my chicken pen to keep them out. It is very open and they are able to walk around in the yard sorta like free roaming chickens do. Is there anything I can use for at night to keep these snakes away? I had saw something called snake away but didn't know if it actually works or not. Thanks to all who reply.

Not sure how big your pen is but bird netting you can get at home depot or lowes works great. Just loose roll it and lay it around the bottom of your pen and 95% of the snakes will get trapped in it for easy removal.

I Thank you for your reply. We are in the process of remodeling our chicken pen and coop area. It is pretty large and is in great need of a make over. I will try the wire netting around the bottom. I read that suffer around the outside works well too. It is worth a try. Thank you again

the netting they are referring to is plastic not metal. you can get a 15' x 45' roll at home depot for about $20. you loosely bunch it up around the bottom of the fence the snakes crawl in and get tangled up.

I saw someone on here who used minnow fish traps and caught a whole bunch of snakes. It looked really neat and they are not real expensive. She/He baited them with eggs. Let me see if I can find the link thread for you.

Back
Top Bottom