ChickenWisperer

Songster
11 Years
Jun 30, 2008
KY
1) What type of bird , age and weight.
EE hen, age unknown, around 5 pounds
EE hen, 2 years, 6-8 pounds

2) What is the behavior, exactly. Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Quite some time ago, we needed to reintroduce our sussex into the established flock. We bought two golden comets one over a year and one a pullet, both had healthy feathers and no symptoms of anything. The only problem was the pullet had bumblefoot from being kept in a wire floor cage. A few months later, the same hen started to cough/wheeze, and it was worse at night on roost. We put the whole flock on Oxytetracline HCI soluble in the water on instructed dosage, and right after wormed them. It stopped for awhile, but eventually came back. We asked the vet. She told us the bird more than likely had a cold, or allergies. So, under her direction we increased to dosage, probably tripled it. Same thing. Then, an EE hen began to sneeze and wheeze, no coughing. A few of the other birds sneezed only a little bit - no wheeze or cough. NOT ALL OF THEM SNEEZE. The original comet hen had a lapse of coughing and stopped. She still sneezed.

We introduced new chicks from Ideal that had been raised separately. I didn't notice any sneezing in their flock before, but now I notice that a few of them sneeze. No coughing/wheezing/etc in those birds.

I asked the vet AGAIN about the original comet hen who had been coughing. She told me that it was a hay allergy, so I had no qualms about selling her. Two of the babies that were a bit too aggressive and the two comets were sold.

We helped out someone who had recently bought a RIR roo, RIR hens, and leghorns and had put them in with polish. The sellers birds were healthy - the coop was in tip-top shape, deep litter meathod with pine was used, and the birds were all healthy. No sneezing/coughing/wheezing, runny noses, all birds were of healthy size, all had good feather quality. I closely infected the birds we "bought", neither had any symptoms or any wheezing/discharge. One had blood on her face from being picked at.

A week after integration, I go to check the birds roost and find one of my original EE hens with a bubbly right eye. I can see nothing on anyone else. None of the birds have swollen face or trouble seeing. Nobody has any nasal discharge or is struggling to breathe. Pinless peepers were used the day before last.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
no
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I have been told many times by the vet that it is because I do not clean their house regularly and I use straw as bedding, and the dust is causing this. The only other thing I can fathom is the comet hens so long ago, or the new polish.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Layer ration, with occasional meat bird ration if picking is a problem. Corn is given sometimes as a time-filler. In the winter they get scratch grains. They get flock-blocks. Treats. They also free-range when possible.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
From what i can see, everyones poo is normal.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Oxytetracycline, as directed. Little effect. Oxytetracycline, the dose by vet. Little effect. Wormer. Seven Dust.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Myself.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
The coop has roughly 60 square feet of floorspace, the run is barren and is probably over 120 feet of space. We use straw as bedding.

I don't have anywhere to separate. They can't go in the house, as mother says it is too likely for me to get sick (I have UC) and the small coop is taken up by two birds, one was picked on and one was in full molt and had bumblefoot.

Please help. I will be calling the vet ASAP tomorrow.

Really the only thing I would suggest is to clean your coop thoroughly, try to isolate the sick birds, clean out dishes and waterers and put them on a round of another antibiotic.
Did the vet say exactly what they have?

Quote:
Thanks.

Should I use the oxytetracycline again, or try a different antibiotic? The Oxy is a wide spectrum.

No, she never did affirmatively say. She kept on saying "they have allergies", or "it's this time of year", or "your coop isn't clean enough", or "it's the dust from the hay irritating them". I haven't gotten to call them yet as for the newest symptom.

Everyone is freeranging, eating, and acting normally.

If you can get it, try Duramyacin powder that you put in the water.
Better still, if you can make yourself do it, Tylan 200 injectable-injected into the breast area on either side of the keel. That stuff is amazing! Give 1 shot and then another 48 hours later.
Good luck and hope they improve for you!

I was battleing the same thing with my birds for that last 2 weeks. Birds were dying on me. Posted on here as for what to do and was told Tylan 50, .2cc (I have small bantams) I did this for two times, 48 hours apart as instructed. Well after the first shot there was a noticable improvement, then after the second shot I dont hear the sneezing, gurgling and the bubbles in the eyes are gone. I also used the oxytetra in their water. The only thing now is that a couple of birds have one eye crusted shut so I washed them with warm water to open them and then applied neosporin over their eyes and that helped a lot. Good luck, it is so frustrating.

Quote:
It sounds simular, but my birds aren't going out on me. I used the oxy again, no Tylan, and I don't see any eye bubbles but the few birds who sneezed before still do.

Back
Top Bottom