Sneezing chickens

frazzles

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 1, 2013
West Yorkshire UK
Could anyone help half my chickens are sneezing, they have no other ailments eating fine the ones old enough to lay are laying the only unusual thing with the eggs were one was huge and another had no yolk in it. They are free range with lots of fruit veg and protein offered. the very large egg.

They might have an allergy, if its really dry it could be dust, or might be the shavings you use in their coop.

Abnormal eggs are often seen in new layers or layers that are becoming ill for some reason.

Check for discharge from the nose, bubbles in the eyes, open mouth breathing and smelly breath. These can be signs of serious illness.

Its a respireatory disease. Could be caused by not enough ventilation. A lot of the time they are mostly harmless but can get nasty and cause death VERY quickly (sometimes) Better to cure them than be safe than sorry. Go to your feed store or wherever you get your chicken supplies. They should have something there. There are many different ways of curing these but I use a basic antibiotic (Oxy-terra A) If the chickens appear fine at the moment there isn't a real rush but just research chicken respiratory illness and you'll probably be able to find your answer :) Any questions just ask!

They might have an allergy, if its really dry it could be dust, or might be the shavings you use in their coop.

Abnormal eggs are often seen in new layers or layers that are becoming ill for some reason.

Check for discharge from the nose, bubbles in the eyes, open mouth breathing and smelly breath. These can be signs of serious illness.
forgot to include that! :p x2

Not a new layer shes over 1 (ex bat) Not smelly breath but smells on top of beak 2 of them. other then sneezing nothing
idunno.gif

Look up Coryza. If they have bad breath, it could be what it is.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/82/infectious-coryza

Dont panic, it might not be, but if it is, nip it in the bud now.

I would give them Tylan in their water, even if its not coryza, any infection should be dealt with right away before it turns into something really bad.

I had an Ex-Bat that laid eggs like that too on occasion. I dont know why. She was just weird that way.

Last edited:
I know your pain. Its very similar here in Canada. After some calls, I found one that helps me with a few things, but not all things Chicken. Dont give up!

Back
Top Bottom