Sneezing chicks one month later: now bubbly eye!!

jmc

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 22, 2008
South Central MA
Dear reader, if you feel generous and really want to understand this thread, please see my late July first ever-post "Chicken Rookie With Sneezing Chicks"

This thread assumes the last one, as this is called 'update'. Those involved with last thread asked for an update (Wynette and Co.!!!).

I know there have been a number of similar posts to this one, so maybe another might actually help.

Now my RIR pullets are 14-15 weeks old, sneezing almost from the first week of life (!), as i can remember (see prev. thread, i can't repeat it here!!)

Birds are all still lively and growing; eating, drinking and playing well. I've had to divide the flock for non-disease related reasons, so now three of seven are in totally different environ. Yet all are still sneezing. Sneeze continues to be dry, though sometimes I do see clear discharge, but very seldom.

But, and here's the dreaded update: a couple weeks ago, I noticed one with an oozing right eye. I thought another pecked her, cuz I saw something like that attempted the eve before. So I didn't worry too much. But now I see bubbles in her right eye (only the right) and a bit of clear drainage. I often hear their breathing when they are right near my ears, never any wheezing.

They seem just as healthy as last month: great, all of them. But this.

Terramycin did ZERO. Tylan in magazines costs a fortune, and you can only get amounts for like 50 gallons!!!

They come from Clearview Stock Farm a 'reputable hatchery', so I've been told.

I'm tired of this: 4 months and now this bubbling.
sad.png

The bubbling is not a good sign. If you have a Tractor Supply near you, you can get Tylan 50 injectable for under $10. For under $15 you can find gallimycin, erythromycin, or oxytetracycline hydrochloride. All water solubles, meaning they mix with water. Injectables will treat in 3 days, water solubles will treat in 10 and up days.

PoorDottie.jpg

Here is the one with the bubbly eye. I hope it shows up well enough. You can see (I hope)a little pool of liquid shining under her eye, maybe under the middle/right section

TSC not really close by here.

Amazon has "Tylan 50 Inj. 100 ml" for 9.99. Seems good.

Is that the stuff? It says it's for cattle and swine, though.

Well, the sneezing and the irritated eye can also be from dust or ammonia build up. If you are keeping the dust down (as much as possible) and the coop doesn't have the smell of ammonia, meaning your sanitation is good, then it probably is something else. I always try to assess the situation by looking at the most common, simple reasons first, then graduate to the more worrisome stuff. chickenlady is giving you good advice on the meds.

Quote:
Yes, I hoped it might be the conditions in the coop the entire flock was in. But now, having relocated 3 birds to a totally different environ while I complete their coop, I still see the sneezing, though maybe not as much, but these too def. sneeze in spite of their less dusty environ.

I do deep litter, and when i stir it up it gets real dusty (sometimes i sneeze lol!). But i never let them in the coop until all aired out. They do kick up dust in their when they scratch. Also, the birds get lots of fresh air.

After stirring there is a bit of ammonia smell, but i'm attempting to control that with lime--of course, when i spread the new layer of shavings after stirring/liming, the coop smells great, really!

I think i'm gonna go ahead with the Tylan, what do you think? I won' t kill em will i
How much Tylan? and now to try and find a syringe and needle!

Quote:
wow. i wasn't expecting that. they sure ain't listless!

i almost wish you had said 'do the tylan'. i'm kinda confused as what to do. according to 'raising poultry the modern way' by Mercia PhD, crd is not a killer, but an production reducer for sure. i'd like to avoid 'reduced production'.

but who knows what is ailing these birds if anything?

confusedly yours,
roll.png

I think this below is important to consider:

I should add that the coop has good ventilation. also, if it were a problem with environment in the coop, and ammonia smell and or allergies, WHY HAVE THEY BEEN SNEEZING CONTINUOUSLY SINCE THEIR FIRST WEEK OF LIFE :eek:

They've been in many different weather conditions and locations here at monastery, so i really think its a respiratory ailment--mild but now worsening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, since this has been going on a long time, I'm not sure what to tell you. What you could do is one round of Tylan 50 injectible (1/2 cc for a standard size hen, 1/4 for a banty) under the skin on the back of the neck for 5-7 days. If it clears up, then you'll know it's not just environmental. I dont advocate use of antibiotics much, but that might help you decide if what they have is something you need to be concerned about.

Back
Top Bottom