Sneezing/coughing sick birds

trailend

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 21, 2014
I bought five birds this weekend. Come to find out they are all sick. Should of expected it considering the living conditions they WERE in. We noticed that one of them was coughing/sneezing yesterday. She is a scillian buttercup around a year old. When you hold her you can tell she is having a hard time breathing. Wheezing, rattling etc. her eyes are clear and bright. Activity is what I would consider a little below normal. She is still eating, scratching and drinking fine. She does have a yellow discharge from one nostril and clear from the other.

Black copper maran rooster. He is also around ayear to 18 months. He rattles badly when he gets to "cooing" at night. He's eyes are clear and bright. He is active and curious. Eating,drinking and scratching fine. Comb and wattles look fine. Only other symptom is he has the same discharge coming out of his nostrils also.

Our maran hens. All are same age of rooster. None are coughing or sneezing. All are active eating and scratching fine. All eyes are clear and bright. Varying degrees of nostril discharge. Only one has yellow discharge. One does have what I describe as mouth gunk in the corner of her beak but not bad. All vents are clean and normal. Wings are clean and there is no skin irritation. All porportions of birds feel normal and there is no muscle stiffness. They are free of mites(as far as we can see. Did thorough check) feet are clean and healthy.
Any help would be appreciated. I have done a lot of reading and I am lead to believe that I need to start dosing all five birds with Tylan 50. Will be going today to pick it up. All the birds are quarantined from the rest of my flock. I have a gallon water that I put Apple cider vinegar with the mother in at a ratio of 1 tbs to the gallon. I also have a 1/4 gal water in there with an electrolyte solution mixed in that I found off of this site. I know these will not cure the birds but I am hoping it will help. I am also planning on installing a heat lamp in the coop tonight as we are starting to drop down into the 40s at night.

Welcome to BYC. This may sound harsh, but I would return them now, or cull them. You don't want a chronic disease in your flock. Antibiotics may help their symptoms, but it won't cure it, and they will be carrier from now on. Your other chickens will probably get sick within the first week they are brought together. MG, coryza, ILT are lifelong diseases. You may spend a fortune on drugs to fight whatever they have. Please do some reading about these diseases:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
http://umaine.edu/livestock/poultry/mycoplasma-gallisepticum-faq/
http://www.extension.org/pages/68127/infectious-coryza-in-poultry#.VEZ9ofnF9NI

Last edited:
Thank you. That's what we were thinking. We were just maybe hoping. But I also don't want to risk the rest of my flock and these were bought in hopes to breed. Which I have since figured out with these infections is not a good idea at all

Last edited:
X 2 what Eggcessive said. The sooner those birds are off your property the better. These things spread so easily, on the air, on you and/or your clothing etc., the risk to your healthy flock is high, even with the sick birds quarantined. It's just not worth getting some nasty disease started in your flock that you will either have to deal with as long as you have these birds or have to cull them all to get rid of it. Just a bad situation all the way around.

We have contacted the seller to them know offered his birds back to him. If he doesn't want them back tonight they will be culled and removed from our property. It's sad but I'm not risking my healthy flock.

the sellers response:

We have contacted the seller to them know offered his birds back to him. If he doesn't want them back tonight they will be culled and removed from our property. It's sad but I'm not risking my healthy flock.
I'm really sorry that you are dealing with this. If people take their chickens to swap meets or other public places, they can pick up illnesses there and be passed on to the next owner. Fortunately MG and coryza are only on equipment and in the environment for several days after being exposed, but make sure you are careful with your shoes and clothing until you have disposed of the birds. ILT can last much longer in the environment, but they didn't sound like they had that.
If you get on your local state thread, or some of the breed threads, you can meet people with healthy birds to sell. This time of year everyone is looking to rehome extra cockerels and hens they don't want to breed so they don't have to feed and house them. Many people will give you healthy chickens, or at least the cockerels.

It's unfornate but worrisome because he is running an active farm and is selling his flock because of a move. He started out with 120 hens and roosters to match each breed. He was actively breeding and selling here up until 2-3 months ago. And is fairly reputable in a livestock group I joined. That's why we went there. Now however, lesson learned we will stay away from local and order from reputable people online.

Back
Top Bottom