Snezzing pullet

Quack

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 13, 2012
One of my new 5 mth old chickens is sneezing. She did go into a hut with older hay that when I cleaned out was moldy. She has no obvious discharge and seems perky. The sneeze like noise does seem to be aggrivated by me catching her. I have put Vetric on her and put Vitiman/MIneral/probiotic powder in her water. She is one of 2 chickens that I have and they lived together were I bought them, the other one is symptom free. Anyother suggestions. No wheezing or head shaking. Am I just making her mad.

There are a lot of respiratory diseases in chickens which run the gamut from a basic cold which they'll get over on their own all the way to Avian Influenza which has to be reported to the Dept. of Ag (who then destroys your whole flock). This is a fabulous resource: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044.

If your bird is perky and bright and isn't wheezing or choking or fluffing up her neck feathers, etc. I'd wait it out and figure it's just dust up her nose or infectious bronchitis--i.e. a cold.

Thanks cool website I will definatly keep an eye out for any distress.

does anyone think it could be worms. The were worms listed on the website that lived in the lungs and could cause respitory issues.

does anyone think it could be worms. The were worms listed on the website that lived in the lungs and could cause respitory issues.

If it were gape worm, it would be a lot more than sneezing. She'd stretch her neck up and out and almost look like she was gagging. Search gape worms and check the symptoms.

However, if you haven't wormed them, go ahead and do it. Right now's a good time, if they're moulting like mine are.

eta: gape worms take a different dewormer than other worms, so you would need to read labels. This thread is wonderful https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/213065/to-worm-or-not-and-piperazine-dosage-for-bantams.

We use a generic ivermectin pour-on (for cattle) because it will get rid of external parasites like feather lice as well as internal ones.

Last edited:
Put a vit./mineral powder in her water 2 days ago and now she is doing really well. Much feistier and only 1 sneeze while I was out there. Yeah so happy.

Put a vit./mineral powder in her water 2 days ago and now she is doing really well. Much feistier and only 1 sneeze while I was out there. Yeah so happy.

Yeah!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom