Snow in Texas!!

Well the lizard heater and metal dog dish worked, single digits last night and the chickens water was still liquid.
celebrate.gif

It's between 17-20 degrees right now and the only issue is my chickens are mad
rant.gif
because they want out of the coop.
I told them no
rant.gif
, not til it warms up to 32 outside. Delwyn just squatted right in front of me thinking I couldn't get out of the door. Huh,
tongue2.gif
I just stepped over her and went out.
gig.gif

They make me laugh
lau.gif
at times, thinking they control me...
gig.gif

I'm in love with our DeLonghi oil filled radiator! I've had it on around the clock since Monday morning on its lowest setting, and it's maintaining the coop at 39-40 degrees even with the pop door open!

I let the flock out in the morning but when I go check on them around 11 a.m. they're all back inside sitting on top of the bird cage enclosing the heater. Chickens are definitely not stupid.

agreed! I have decided I am a TEXAN and I like it here and people can keep their snow and ice!
sickbyc.gif
I have spoke with many people are from up north and they all say we are a bunch of sissies, so what! I hear them winning at the 100 degree temps when I am enjoying the rivers
tongue2.gif
This bringing buckets of hot water from the house for water is for the birds (quite literally!)
yippiechickie.gif
I would NOT like to do this on a three month basis. Aside from having my sons show japanese rooster in the house (so his comb doesn't get frostbite) our birds, even the little ones all seem to handling this just fine, I think there enough in each coop to keep each other warm. They are so cute all fluffed up! I didn't think silkies and cochins could get fluffier but they can!
wink.png
I hate this and ready for it to go away!!!
somad.gif
my bathtub was full of mud after trying to get drinkers defrosted and refilled YUCK!
hide.gif

Well ,beleive it or not its snowing at7L. Just got back from chicken duty & its 24 degrees with white stuff on the ground. The roo & one of his girlfriends ventured out the others stayed in Smart Girls. I quickly got Freddy back in because I didn't want to leave the door open & I was cold. Thats probably the end of our snow season for the year.

23 degrees here and covered in ice.....freezing rain all night long. Many of the roads down here near Victoria are closed. Also a lot of the main Highways to and in San Antonio are closed. Snow would have been nice.

It snowed here during the night, and into the morning. We have about 1-2 inches here. When I went out to give fresh uniced water, the big girls met me at the door, and when they saw the awful white stuff... the stayed on the door frame... and those inside the coop pecked on the snow that came off my boots. When I let the Delaware kids out... they ran down the gangplank and stood there like sailors waiting for the end ! The first one out the door, all the way to the end... and he put the brakes on while there was a pileup behind him... pretty funny ! They are still sitting on the ramp... being chicken ! I reassured everybody... after today... it would be over ! 50's tomorrow!

Kacey

bow.gif

We got about 3-4 inches of snow last night to go on top of the ice that has covered everything since Monday. Good grief! What a mess.

I'm west of DFW....anyone else's chickens getting a little stir-crazy? I've been trying to put things in the coop to keep them entertained...but lordy, I'm running out of ideas! I tried to shovel out their run and put hay down for them to go out on, but they weren't interested.
barnie.gif

I live in a Dallas suburb. My girls have been real troopers.
love.gif
They've even been out in the run each day in the sub freezing temps. They don't seem to like the snow, though. They've decided to stay in the coop today. I have a heat bulb in there, but it's still not warm enough to keep the water from freezing, so I'm going out twice a day to give them water. I guess the extra light really works, because they're laying very well right now.
th.gif
Sure will be glad to have normal Texas winter back.

everything here froze. busted pipes...no water...all the heaters everyone suggested were gone and no one had anything except propane and kerosene...which I do not want. so hoping to get thawed enough to fix pipes and have water today or tomorrow. using last of water I had taken up for animals...rewarming yesterday's coffee...but at least I hve it..Yeah

Back
Top Bottom