So do I REALLY need a walk-in coop?

Pics
Try something like this?
View attachment 3203660
The white wire in front is just a closet wire shelf that's kept in place with bungee cords. It's about 16" tall so I can easily step over it. It's not that chickens can't get out by jumping it, just that most won't bother. I've accidentally left the run door open for a few hours and the chickens have always stayed inside.

I don't think that would stop some of them.

I have a couple POL pullets who fly out past my head if I don't raise my hands. The other day I had to change my shirt because one bounced off my shoulder and left a poopy footprint. :lau

Mature hens, yes. But those POL girls are wild and crazy.

I only want 4 - 6 chicks, but I might try to make the coop a little larger and enclose the nesting box in the main part, up against the wall, instead of adding it onto the side in a separate box.

Unless it's mounted high enough that the birds can easily walk around under it, the space the nests take up inside don't count -- which is why most small coops have them mounted on the outside. Also, there is the risk that hens would decide that the dark space in the back corner under the nest where you can't reach would make a perfect nest. :)

I've got nests inside Neuchickenstein (with outside access), but that coop is 16x16 -- plenty of room to spare -- and the nests are mounted at elbow height for me.

The easiest way to enlarge the Little Monitor Coop would be to lengthen it to 6 feet along the length of the monitor (which takes care of adding additional ventilation), move the access door to the side opposite the wall, and turn the roost to run that way instead of across.

You would want to make sure that the altered access door was wide enough to reach every corner of the coop.

I have a couple POL pullets who fly out past my head if I don't raise my hands. The other day I had to change my shirt because one bounced off my shoulder and left a poopy footprint. :lau

Unless it's mounted high enough that the birds can easily walk around under it, the space the nests take up inside don't count -- which is why most small coops have them mounted on the outside. Also, there is the risk that hens would decide that the dark space in the back corner under the nest where you can't reach would make a perfect nest. :)

I've got nests inside Neuchickenstein (with outside access), but that coop is 16x16 -- plenty of room to spare -- and the nests are mounted at elbow height for me.

The easiest way to enlarge the Little Monitor Coop would be to lengthen it to 6 feet along the length of the monitor (which takes care of adding additional ventilation), move the access door to the side opposite the wall, and turn the roost to run that way instead of across.

You would want to make sure that the altered access door was wide enough to reach every corner of the coop.
I'll be churning on that for a while. 🤔 Thanks!!

As we get 'more mature', that bending over gets less pleasant. Just sayin'.
Mary

:old I've found myself in that same demographic. Just about everything I build has an eye on ease of access for my aging body. Walk-in chicken coop and run are just a few things in my life I built with the notion of not having to bend over. I think a person could build a smaller coop, maybe elevated waist high, and have a large drop-down door or entire wall panel to provide complete access to the coop would serve the same purpose. You could clean and maintain the smaller coop without having to bend over or crawl around inside a tight space.

Might you
:old I've found myself in that same demographic. Just about everything I build has an eye on ease of access for my aging body. Walk-in chicken coop and run are just a few things in my life I built with the notion of not having to bend over. I think a person could build a smaller coop, maybe elevated waist high, and have a large drop-down door or entire wall panel to provide complete access to the coop would serve the same purpose. You could clean and maintain the smaller coop without having to bend over or crawl around inside a tight space.
My thoughts exactly. Yep, I def try to avoid having to squat or bend over too far. I was thinking waist-high would be just about right. I'm looking at the plans/size of the Monitor coop, and trying to figure if I can elevate it and still nestle it in under my tree. I might have to trim a little. But that's my thought. Thanks for your verification.

Might you

My thoughts exactly. Yep, I def try to avoid having to squat or bend over too far. I was thinking waist-high would be just about right. I'm looking at the plans/size of the Monitor coop, and trying to figure if I can elevate it and still nestle it in under my tree. I might have to trim a little. But that's my thought. Thanks for your verification.

"Might you?"

"Might you?"
Well, yeah. Because the coop itself if 55" high at the top of the monitor, and I'd like to have the coop elevated so I'm not cleaning it out on the ground. My cart that I'd like to scrape into is 22 inches high, and for comfort's sake, I'd REALLY like the coop access door to bottom out at about 36". But that would make the coop 7.5 ft high, LOL. I could probably shoe-horn it in there by scooching it over some and putting it not as far under the tree as I'd like. Or I might have to trim the tree. 😠
I think what I *might do is take some of the many cardboard Amazon boxes that I've hoarded, and construct a dummy coop of the right size, and see how high I can elevate it before hitting the tree, LOL. Let's see if I can attach a pix of where I want to fit it in. I'd like to put it where that table is, because it's protected from the sun there (from the east and the south).

Attachments

• IMG-3689.jpg
    IMG-3689.jpg
    973.1 KB · Views: 3
I think what I *might do is take some of the many cardboard Amazon boxes that I'v hoarded, and construct a dummy coop of the right size, and see how high I can elevate it before hitting the tree, LOL.

That's really an EXCELLENT idea.

I forget exactly how tall that coop is. It *might* be in the article or it might not.

You need a minimum of 18" underneath if you want the chickens to be comfortable walking around underneath. 24" would be more comfortable if you've going to have larger birds. My Brahmas were a bit squished once there was a good layer of bedding in there.

Yeah it's me again, the hesitant, coopless newbie. I do "get it" about chicken math, and my intent is to have 3 or 4, but the math says I could double that, altho I really don't want to. My space is limited and I am working with a 9x9 area that is bounded by a tree on the right, my "barn" on the back and a ramp from the barn on the left. There will be a predator protected run that extends out in front of the coop for another 8 feet. The space is small, and the overhanging of the tree limits me even more. I do not want to trim my tree, but there is a nice niche between 6 o'clock and 11 o'clock where a 4 ft roof would fit. I was thinking a flatter style would allow a bigger horizontal space, and a nice pull-out drawer for cleaning would work. For those few chickens, do I REALLY need a walk-in coop?
I would recommend making it walk in height. You're gonna be in the coop more than you think, cleaning, collecting eggs, refilling food and water and repairing roosts, and also making changes for the weather, like heated water bowls and ventilation. I got a small feed shed that has a doorway that's only like 4 ft high and it gets annoying even going into it only once a day.

I forget exactly how tall that coop is. It *might* be in the article or it might not.

You need a minimum of 18" underneath if you want the chickens to be comfortable walking around underneath. 24" would be more comfortable if you've going to have larger birds. My Brahmas were a bit squished once there was a good layer of bedding in there.
Yeah, the diagram says it's 55" from the bottom of the coop to the top of the monitor. But the sides that slope up to the monitor are not as tall, so by scooching it over as far as possible, it might fit under the tree and still not obstruct the ramp to the barn. I've been pondering, too, the "underneath" for a run. That would be exceptionally unhandy to have to get under there to get a chicken. LOL What I think I *might* do, is have the ladder empty directly into the 8x8 closed top run from TSC, and not let them get under the coop. Or I could deal with that later (said Scarlett O'Hara). I am still mostly trying to wrap my brain around the coop, but I am giving some premature thought to the 8x8 run. I'll do the dummy coop tomorrow (if it doesn't rain, but we NEED the rain, LOL) and show you a pix.

*might do is take some of the many cardboard Amazon boxes that I've hoarded, and construct a dummy coop of the right size, and see how high I can elevate it before hitting the tree,

Yes, yes it is.....when I was designing manufacturing equipment I often did full sized mock ups for the operators to test out. It saved expensive material errors and fostered collaborative relationships that were priceless.

Back
Top Bottom