So do I REALLY need a walk-in coop?

Pics
This was designed for NC heat and humidity by a person who lives only 70 miles from me, so I know it is "right" for my conditions. Thanks!

Understand, correct ventilation for your location is very important. I worry about our cold -40F temps in the winter. I don't really worry much about a possible 90F heat wave here in northern Minnesota. We all need to consider where we live in building our coops.

I'm retired. LOL. Lotsa time to do ANYTHING I want. I don't even see how I ever had time for a paying job, LOL.
I can't see that a 4x4 coop with good side access and deep bedding would take me much longer to clean out than a walk-in. Also my space is small, and I think a walk-in coop would be very imposing in that small space.
One thing: I think MANY ppl here have been keeping chickens for years, and have "grown into" a walk-in coop. But for those of us just starting, even without my space constraints, a walk-in coop is a big commitment. What if I don't like keeping chickens and I decide to give it up in a few years? "What?? Not like keeping chickens!?!?!" I know chicken keepers can't imagine that, LOL. But it happens, and I know I do tend to run hot and cold. So for someone like me, I am more comfortable starting out small. I will have a walk-in run (8x8) and that should be good enough for a beginner.
As someone that has various kinds of livestock. Keeping the work and unpleasant parts as easy and pleasant as possible. Makes having them that much more satisfying. I do understand not wanting to invest too much into a new venture also. Also that keeping some kinds livestock and poultry is not for everyone. People are just crazy over their waterfowl and guineas. As I am about chickens. I have had both. They are not for me. Good luck with your new venture.

Understand, correct ventilation for your location is very important. I worry about our cold -40F temps in the winter. I don't really worry much about a possible 90F heat wave here in northern Minnesota. We all need to consider where we live in building our coops.
Yeah, I get that. We can have weeks of 90+ and YUGE humidity, but in the winter it rarely goes lower than 20 for more than a day or 2. There's SO MUCH to consider and it's so diff from one place to another1 I was so lucky to find a well-thought out coop that was designed for my own humid home area!! I def plan to take advantage of 3Bee's research and design, and her willingness to "coach me". :love

But for those of us just starting, even without my space constraints, a walk-in coop is a big commitment. What if I don't like keeping chickens and I decide to give it up in a few years?

This is why I have been suggesting for many people to do a shed conversion into chicken coop. If you decide that chickens don't fit into your lifestyle, then you can convert the chicken coop back into a nice shed.

As much as I like my chicken coop built on an old boat trailer frame, if I ever stop having chickens, I don't have much use for that coop anymore and I can't imagine it having a life beyond holding chickens.

So for someone like me, I am more comfortable starting out small. I will have a walk-in run (8x8) and that should be good enough for a beginner.

I agree. You seem to know what you want and how much you want to invest into the project. Nothing wrong with starting out small and seeing how things work out for you. Nothing wrong with staying small, either. Don't feel you have to increase your flock size if it fits you. And, if raising chickens is not for you, then that's OK too. Life happens and priorities change.

How much is your time worth? A walk in takes less of your time and effort for cleaning and daily care of your flock. Giving your more time to watch crazy chicken antics .

Well, yes and no. In general, I agree with you. But, I have seen some walk-in designs that are not all that labor friendly. Although my elevated chicken coop on a boat trailer frame is a walk-in size, I can access everything I need from the outside (eggs, feed, water, etc..) and only have to "walk in" the coop maybe twice a year for cleaning out the deep bedding.

It takes me less than 5 minutes per day to care for my chickens, and that is only because I chose to let them out in the morning and lock them up at night. If I went with an automatic door, I would not even have to do that. My feeder and waterer last about 10 days before refills are needed.

:clap I was fortunate with my property that I was able to place the chicken coop and run in my backyard where I can easily watch the chickens from my kitchen, dining room, home office, and our deck. Chicken TV whenever I want, and I don't have to leave the house.

@3KillerBs is in your general (in the most general of sense) area.
They can tell you much better what works for your general area, I feel.

You don't have to have a walk-in, sure.

I feel though that it is easier for me to take care of the run.
Also, unless you are in the wild mountains with oodles of snow and freezing winds, you might be able to get away with a minimal structure: Unless the temps dip into single digits here, I don't see that I will need much more than what I have now: a wire run with half the roof covered. They will probably need more food when it gets cold.

Look though the galleries, there are coops of every size and shape the good folks of BYC have built.
In terms of prefabs, you have to really be careful. most are much smaller than indicated.
I have one I don't think I could fit 2 bantams in. I am keeping it, in case I want to get more chicks. but so far, the playhouse is no more than a yard ornament. Maybe a hospital station, if needed. Prefabs are not designed by chicken owners, and it shows (I had to lay on the ground and reach far back to grab my chicks when I had them briefly outside while I cleaned their brooder.)

@3KillerBs is in your general (in the most general of sense) area.
They can tell you much better what works for your general area, I feel.

You don't have to have a walk-in, sure.

I feel though that it is easier for me to take care of the run.
Also, unless you are in the wild mountains with oodles of snow and freezing winds, you might be able to get away with a minimal structure: Unless the temps dip into single digits here, I don't see that I will need much more than what I have now: a wire run with half the roof covered. They will probably need more food when it gets cold.

Look though the galleries, there are coops of every size and shape the good folks of BYC have built.
In terms of prefabs, you have to really be careful. most are much smaller than indicated.
I have one I don't think I could fit 2 bantams in. I am keeping it, in case I want to get more chicks. but so far, the playhouse is no more than a yard ornament. Maybe a hospital station, if needed. Prefabs are not designed by chicken owners, and it shows (I had to lay on the ground and reach far back to grab my chicks when I had them briefly outside while I cleaned their brooder.)
Yeah, I have one of those prefabs (still unopened) that's going back to the store on Monday. It cost about $375, and for what is it, it's not worth it. Small, and the roosts are barely above floor-level, and it has a shallow clean-out drawer, needs reinforcement, etc. For that amount of $ I can probably purchase or "find" most of what I need to build a slightly bigger house that better suits my needs. I'm mentally working on that Monitor coop. 😍

Yeah, I have one of those prefabs (still unopened) that's going back to the store on Monday. It cost about $375, and for what is it, it's not worth it. Small, and the roosts are barely above floor-level, and it has a shallow clean-out drawer, needs reinforcement, etc. For that amount of $ I can probably purchase or "find" most of what I need to build a slightly bigger house that better suits my needs. I'm mentally working on that Monitor coop. 😍
I kind of jumped in, rather impulsively. It is something I had been wanting to do, sure, but I considered this as a starting point of a new era. I had some health issues that were resolved in May, So I figured I'd celebrate them by planting a garden and getting those chickens I have been wanting.
The chickens and the garden are in unison, I expect them to improve my sorry soil to a great extent. And then stuff just happened again. So I did not go the route I had planned, but had my husband order the run for me. (I had planned on building one to fit my garden better.)
As I said, I had looked at the Sentinel. It had nice features and would have put a natural stop (as if! :lau ) to my eyeballing more chicks. for the price, it is a nice enough beginner coop.
But if you can get something built, you come out ahead, no doubt.
For now I am enjoying what I have. The ladies have not seen much of me today, When I checked on them this morning, they were still 'in bed' on their roost, so I left them, and now it is raining again, and thundering.
I have no intention to make the headlines " Woman struck by lightning while checking on her chickens'
I will have to replace the food they since spilled (they had about a pint of food this morning, enough to last them for a day) and bring them their treats I omitted tonight.
I like to give them something yummy in the early evening, so they consider being home at the time, should they get out.
And I know this because there is another feature of my setup: My husband is largely housebound. In order to get some enjoyment out of the chicks he has paid for (😅) we installed a wireless security camera inside the coop. A really nice feature!

Last edited:
My run is 4ft tall and I think if I had the space I would make It about a foot taller. I have to really crouch-walk in if I need to get to the far end and my partner probably would have to crawl as they're a lot taller than me. I have my food and water right near the door where I kind of sit and hang out with them, so that part is easy. My coop is raised up so getting in there is very easy as it's at chest level.

I'm retired. LOL. Lotsa time to do ANYTHING I want. I don't even see how I ever had time for a paying job, LOL.
I can't see that a 4x4 coop with good side access and deep bedding would take me much longer to clean out than a walk-in. Also my space is small, and I think a walk-in coop would be very imposing in that small space.
One thing: I think MANY ppl here have been keeping chickens for years, and have "grown into" a walk-in coop. But for those of us just starting, even without my space constraints, a walk-in coop is a big commitment. What if I don't like keeping chickens and I decide to give it up in a few years? "What?? Not like keeping chickens!?!?!" I know chicken keepers can't imagine that, LOL. But it happens, and I know I do tend to run hot and cold. So for someone like me, I am more comfortable starting out small. I will have a walk-in run (8x8) and that should be good enough for a beginner.
I think you have all your reasons for why you wanna do it how you wanna do it! I don't think a walk in is necessary. It may be nice though...
However, I think you are correct in the fact that many people grew into it...I mean a lot of people start with the prefabs before moving on to bigger and better things!

You'll find out quickly if your design doesn't meet your needs...and then you can adjust of need be!

I am excited to see it all come together!!!

Back
Top Bottom