So...Do they need a "nest egg" in the coop?

shortnsweet1025

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 11, 2010
I have several hens of different ages and types. My two older red stars have been laying two eggs a day for about a month now. My Dad keeps telling me I need to keep a "nest egg" in the coop so they know where to lay or they will start laying elsewhere since they are allowed to free range during the day. Is this true? Do I need to keep an egg in the coop or not? They have been laying in the same place in the coop daily without problems.

caf.gif
I put golf balls in my nest (one per nest) to encourage them to keep laying in the boxes...once they got the hang of it...it was all good...I took the golf balls out.

It worked for us!
thumbsup.gif

Oh, that's up to you. Mine lay in the nest boxes, but I have kept the golf balls in the nest boxes just to see where the hens are gonna move 'em to, next.

Plus, I have young gals approaching laying age, and I gather eggs daily, so I want there to be a "sample" (golf ball) IN the nests just to reinforce it for those who haven't laid eggs yet, but will, eventually.

Just 'cause I do that doesn't mean it's right.
big_smile.png

I think it's a good idea. Initially we put plastic easter eggs in the nest boxes, but they were so lightweight that as the girls scratched about, they were flung out of the boxes. We switched to golf balls, and have had very few eggs anywhere but the nest box, since. Sometimes, if I am just standing around in the coop, watching the girls, I will see them go over to the nest boxes, and stretch their necks to look over the edge, and look at the balls in the nest before jumping in. I think it is a helpful thing, and there are many companies that make ceramic or wooden eggs to use as well. (My Grandpa had milk glass eggs that he used, many years ago.)

well I have 2 nest boxes 1 with a ball 1 without, somedays all the eggs are in the nest without the golfball somedays like today I was home and took the egg that was in without the golf ball and the next chicken laid with the ball, I don't really think it matters as long as they already know to lay in the box.

I leave golf balls in mine, and mine have been very good about using the nests - I've had a few floor eggs but they all seem to be catching on
smile.png

I've noticed some of my chickens (1 EE in particular) really like to lay their egg in a nest where others have laid. They will wait in line to use that same nest, and I always seem to find the same girls' eggs there. My chickens will allow me to reach under them to collect eggs while they're trying to lay (poor girls), I find if I slip a couple more golf balls under them they don't seem to notice the eggs are gone. If I just take the eggs without adding golf balls, the EE puffs up and makes a noise that sounds a lot like an angry raccoon.

Well that's a lot of different opinions which I appreciate very much.. Still ddoesn't help me though, lol. I guess I will put golf balls there JIC. Thanks for all the input...I have two hens laying and I got three eggs today! WOO HOO! =-)

Back
Top Bottom