So, have y'all ever considered....?

Thank you, back2basics. I believe that animals are put here for our use, to be respected for the purpose they serve, and not to be abused. We are the stewards of this earth and as such have a great responsibility toward the resources we have -including domesticated animals. As a Christain I feel it is part of my duty in service to the Lord. I am thankful for the life I am able to have and give to my children. I want them to grow up with the same respect. They must learn there is a price to pay to have meat on the table. Something gives its life to sustain ours.

That's what they were put here for, so that's what I'm gonna do.
smile.png
I hunt and fish and the whole nine yards, eating the product of my kill/catch. We had a couple pigs we raised and butchered, as well as a couple cows. When I raised rabbits, the culls of the litter once proven not show quality (the heavier breeds anyway) were stuck in seperate cages and fattened up to be dinner. I couldn't eat an animal I'm emotionally attatched to, like one of my pet chickens, but if I had meat chickens, and that's what I raised them for, then that's what they shall be. I'd rather eat something I've raised than buy something from a store / meat market and eat it. My animals are treated with respect and the greatest care up until it's their time to feed us. The animals are happy and don't even know what happened to them when they're killed. Much healthier. And tastier. YUMM!
smile.png

'Thou shalt not kill any living thing,' for life is given to all by God, and that which God has given, let not man taketh it away. ~Jesus, Gospel of the Holy Twelve, (earliest known recorded words of Jesus)

Personally I could not raise and eat my food, just a weird thing with me. My husband was raised on a farm and it was nothing to name a pig, raise it and eat it. Same with all the other farm animals, I just personally could not do it but I have no issue with others that do, seems natural really. The one point I have always made to my son about hunting though is not to kill what you are not going to eat and that I really strongly believe in (with the exception to spiders, lol and they are doomed when they enter my personal space). I really think it does go back to the issue so many have mentioned about not really relating or associating the grocery store food with the warm noses in the pasture. Heck I have trouble with the cartoons that portray hamburgers and cookies with faces and personalities, geez, what does that teach a kid! If that stuff was all over tv when I was little I would have been a vegetarian hands down. The cookies in the car singing and laughing like they are real then being eaten, the message is just wrong...same with talking cheese in a hamburger...poor little confused kids...now you see why I could never raise, butcher and eat my food?! I'm lucky I have no issues with the eggs, lol!! Darlene

I've been a vegetarian since I was 12, when I figured out that humans actually don't need meat. I was raised on a farm and never felt right about eating my "friends". Until I turned 12 I believed (thanks to my mother!
wink.png
) that I would basically die if I didn't eat meat , so I really think that's the only reason I didn't stop eating meat the day I realized what meat was, when I was probably about 4 or 5. I hesitated to jump in on this conversation, as I've seen how upset some people can become when confronted by a vegetarian, but well, here I am! I will say though, that I have far more respect for all the meat eaters in on this conversation for several reasons. First, they are fully aware of what meat is, and are choosing to eat it with complete awareness, and secondly because everyone seems to care about the life of the animal prior to its demise, and holds a certain amount of respect for the entire process. And lastly, the meat they're eating they raised or hunted/fished themselves, rather than looking for the cheapest deal at Wal-mart from animals raised in horrific conditions. I do wish everyone who chose to eat meat could be at this level, but unfortunatly we are a grocery store society for the most part, and not only are people not being mindful when taking a bite out of their burger, but they become angry and disgusted when faced with the reality of what they are eating. I think if someone has to make up their own little fairy tale to feel okay about what they're eating, they have no right to eat it. So being raised on a farm certainly impacted my decision to not eat meat, and actually, since I started raising chickens this past year, my beloved, suburbia-born DH has stopped eating chicken and has basically begged me to never get a cow or else he knows what will happen next!
lol.png

I would never consider becoming a vegetarian....I deer hunt so we eat a lot of venison around here in place of beef or pork. We don't eat much chicken anyways. Eggs are about 50/50 store bought and our own as we do not have any standard breed chickens as of right now. We hatch out most of the bantam and call duck eggs. I god did not intend for you too eat some meat, your ancestors would have only raised gardens.

I went vegetarian when I was 12 six months after I got my first chicks, I went Vegan last Febuary. I don't need meat or any other animal products or secretions to live. Taking an animal's life (who obviously wanted to live) for my selfish enjoyment of the taste does not make since to me.

Back
Top Bottom