So I’ve decided to get ducks.

Pics

A_Fowl_Guy

Pig Whisperer
5 Years
May 4, 2014
Newberry, Indiana
I plan on getting 5 pekin ducks and a pekin drake this year and need advice. I’ve raised chickens myself for 10 years and have had them my entire life but I am totally new to ducks. I know they need niacin but I have other questions!

How much square footage is needed per duck in a duck house? (Will be building my own out of pallets)

Will my pond be suitable instead of a pool?

Will I have to heard them into the house at night? (Have to do it with my latest batch of chickens; they’re a tad special)

How big are the eggs compared to a Rhode Island Reds?

What is the drake to duck ratio?

I am getting hatchery ducklings; how long until they can swim?

Presenting more ducklings pictures!

5536CBB7-A609-4905-ADA1-073201C695D9.jpeg
CC20E6E9-848E-4882-816A-BA78C80A4908.jpeg

Ducks take about four feet of space each. They're less likely to fight than chickens are, but they're also larger.

A pond is great.

Best to just feed them in the duck house at night. You'll never get them off of the pond otherwise (mine sleep on it.)

Their eggs are about half again to twice the size of a large (store-size) chicken egg.

That's a good duck to drake ratio. 5:1 is great if you only have one drake.

They can swim immediately, but they shouldn't swim for very long when they're young. I generally wait until they have belly feathers (about four-five weeks) before I put mine on the pond. Before that, taking them outside and dropping them in a puddle is a special treat.

Back
Top Bottom