So I’ve decided to get ducks.

Pics

A_Fowl_Guy

Pig Whisperer
5 Years
May 4, 2014
Newberry, Indiana
I plan on getting 5 pekin ducks and a pekin drake this year and need advice. I’ve raised chickens myself for 10 years and have had them my entire life but I am totally new to ducks. I know they need niacin but I have other questions!

How much square footage is needed per duck in a duck house? (Will be building my own out of pallets)

Will my pond be suitable instead of a pool?

Will I have to heard them into the house at night? (Have to do it with my latest batch of chickens; they’re a tad special)

How big are the eggs compared to a Rhode Island Reds?

What is the drake to duck ratio?

I am getting hatchery ducklings; how long until they can swim?

Ducks take about four feet of space each. They're less likely to fight than chickens are, but they're also larger.

A pond is great.

Best to just feed them in the duck house at night. You'll never get them off of the pond otherwise (mine sleep on it.)

Their eggs are about half again to twice the size of a large (store-size) chicken egg.

That's a good duck to drake ratio. 5:1 is great if you only have one drake.

They can swim immediately, but they shouldn't swim for very long when they're young. I generally wait until they have belly feathers (about four-five weeks) before I put mine on the pond. Before that, taking them outside and dropping them in a puddle is a special treat.

I believe the square footage is the same, but they are MESSY so plan ahead
A pond will be WAY better than a pool, Lucky you!
My ducks have never gone in at night but some peoples ducks do
They are about 2x the size of RIR eggs
1 drake to 2-3 Ducks
you can let them swim in a paint tray or other shallow container once the are a week old and then you can upgrade to a kitty pool with 3-4 inches of water with a rock or something so they can get out of the water if its too deep
Another thing, For me pekins were a huge mistake, they are very messy and very large ducks. I have kahaki cambells and pekins right now and the khakis eggs are a little smaller than the pekins, but bigger than the RIR's. The khakis are way better for me but everyone is different
Dont forget About the brother of chicken math, DUCK MATH!:lau:celebrate:love

I believe the square footage is the same, but they are MESSY so plan ahead
A pond will be WAY better than a pool, Lucky you!
My ducks have never gone in at night but some peoples ducks do
They are about 2x the size of RIR eggs
1 drake to 2-3 Ducks
you can let them swim in a paint tray or other shallow container once the are a week old and then you can upgrade to a kitty pool with 3-4 inches of water with a rock or something so they can get out of the water if its too deep
Another thing, For me pekins were a huge mistake, they are very messy and very large ducks. I have kahaki cambells and pekins right now and the khakis eggs are a little smaller than the pekins, but bigger than the RIR's. The khakis are way better for me but everyone is different
Dont forget About the brother of chicken math, DUCK MATH!:lau:celebrate:love

Duck math.... great. I just passed my chicken math test :lau

Ducks take about four feet of space each. They're less likely to fight than chickens are, but they're also larger.

A pond is great.

Best to just feed them in the duck house at night. You'll never get them off of the pond otherwise (mine sleep on it.)

Their eggs are about half again to twice the size of a large (store-size) chicken egg.

That's a good duck to drake ratio. 5:1 is great if you only have one drake.

They can swim immediately, but they shouldn't swim for very long when they're young. I generally wait until they have belly feathers (about four-five weeks) before I put mine on the pond. Before that, taking them outside and dropping them in a puddle is a special treat.

So the duck house can be a three walled shelter if I let them sleep on the water?

How much square footage is needed per duck in a duck house? (Will be building my own out of pallets)

Personally I think 6 sq ft per duck. Pekin males get really big so I would add 8 to 10 sq ft for him.

Will my pond be suitable instead of a pool?

As long as it is large enough and/or has good filtration.

Will I have to heard them into the house at night? (Have to do it with my latest batch of chickens; they’re a tad special)

Probably. Some ducks will want to stay outside. Others will be happy to go in one is starting to get dark.

How big are the eggs compared to a Rhode Island Reds?

Screenshot_20190222-192705_Google.jpg

What is the drake to duck ratio?

Atleast 1:4

I am getting hatchery ducklings; how long until they can swim?

I usually do supervised swims at 2 weeks, but some people let them swim right away.

Back
Top Bottom