So I picked up my "Pilgrim" pair...??*Updated Pics*

NYRIR

Crowing
13 Years
May 13, 2010
Petersburg,NY
I had posted a couple of days ago about trading a pair of my pekin ducks for a pair of Pilgrim geese. Well, I did but I'm not sure if I got Pilgrim geese or not! They are both white...one has some grey on the wings, butt...one is almost all white. they both have blue eyes...I thought pilgrims were auto sexed? One has a small knob on it's bill, the other does not. The one I THINK is a female has a brighter bill and seems easier to deal with.The other...supposed to be male..has the knob and is more threatening.He isn't mean...just scared and vocal about it. I think the guy said they were white pilgrims? Couldn't find anything on those....
I will post pics tomorrow so maybe someone can tell me what I have. The guy had what he called African Grey Toulouse and White Pilgrims all in together.
Here are some pics...I know not the best but they both have some grey on rump...
57454_geese_002.jpg

And another...I'm really think I got 2 males...or some crosses...but the one without the knob seems more docile...
57454_geese_007.jpg

One more...they are not really people oriented so it's hard to get a pic...
57454_geese_006.jpg

I will try to get better ones later..but any ideas on breed/gender would be appreciated
smile.png

Last edited:
White pilgrims? Sounds like two males to me. Check out Holderreds site or Feathersite for good pictures. Flip em over and vent sex them. It is not hard to do and, well, definative.

I believe that in adults, male pilgrims are supposed to have blue eyes, and females are brown so that may be a help. If they're adult birds you shouldn't have any trouble telling the sex as it's very evident in the coloring. Also, I've read that the knob is an undesirable trait in pilgrims.

I had read and saw the same thing...that males are white with blue eyes and some grey on rump/wings....the thing that's throwing me is the knob on one and the behavior is so different between the two.The one without the knob is easier to handle.Anyway, I will try to get close ups later. He had said they were white pilgrim geese....he had some grey but he called those african toulouse. I don't really care if they are crosses because we want to start breeding for meat but it'd be nice to have a female
sad.png
Any more ideas?

Quote:
Sounds like the guy you got these from has a very MIXED breed flock and has lost track of the breeding! There is no such breed as african talouse or white pilgrim (pilgrim is an autosexing breed which produces white males and gray/white females) If any of his geese which he called "african toulouse" had white feathers around a knobless orange bill (something that distinguishes the pilgrim females from toulouse but usually appears when the goose is mature 9-12 months) then trade your white knobby-beaked, white male pilgrim cross for one of the grey bodied, white faced pilgrim girls-again they should NOT have knobs on their beaks.

The guy who gave you "white pilgrims" gave you 2 males or at least 1 cross breed. Definately check the eye color on them-like people were saying-they should be blue if they are pilgrim males. You definately need to have a pair for breeding purposes, if you primarily want meat, get talouse or embden (they are bigger at least).

On their tail and rump color, my 2 male pilgrims have gray wing feathers and light gray back down...most of this dark coloring will moult out when they mature, but a little gray is normal and not a flaw. Any dark feathers anywhere else (neck and chest) are a sign of a poor specimen.

I would venture to acquire geese by breed from reputable people who at least know what breeds are, if you just want meat birds though, it shouldn't matter what breed or cross they are-they are destined to be plucked and eaten... FYI the lighter colored birds dress out (pluck) better and have nicer looking skin for cooking.

for more breed info and a picture of a perfect pilgrim pair go to http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/waterfowl/pilgrim.html

Last edited:
Quote:
Sounds like the guy you got these from has a very MIXED breed flock and has lost track of the breeding! There is no such breed as african talouse or white pilgrim (pilgrim is an autosexing breed which produces white males and gray/white females) If any of his geese which he called "african toulouse" had white feathers around a knobless orange bill (something that distinguishes the pilgrim females from toulouse but usually appears when the goose is mature 9-12 months) then trade your white knobby-beaked, white male pilgrim cross for one of the grey bodied, white faced pilgrim girls-again they should NOT have knobs on their beaks.

The guy who gave you "white pilgrims" gave you 2 males or at least 1 cross breed. Definately check the eye color on them-like people were saying-they should be blue if they are pilgrim males. You definately need to have a pair for breeding purposes, if you primarily want meat, get talouse or embden (they are bigger at least).

On their tail and rump color, my 2 male pilgrims have gray wing feathers and light gray back down...most of this dark coloring will moult out when they mature, but a little gray is normal and not a flaw. Any dark feathers anywhere else (neck and chest) are a sign of a poor specimen.

I would venture to acquire geese by breed from reputable people who at least know what breeds are, if you just want meat birds though, it shouldn't matter what breed or cross they are-they are destined to be plucked and eaten... FYI the lighter colored birds dress out (pluck) better and have nicer looking skin for cooking.

for more breed info and a picture of a perfect pilgrim pair go to http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/waterfowl/pilgrim.html

Yes, they both have blue eyes...and they both have the feather patten you are talking about...I didn't think there was such a thing as a African Toulouse! And I couldn't find "white Pilgrims either!" I will be posting pics of the 3 goslings for breed identity as well! 2 look the same...one looks different!?

Back
Top Bottom