So I'm new and I have a question

He was eating perfectly fine the whole week, never saw him go at all. We separated him from our other duckling yesterday morning and never found any poop in the bottom of the box. He just died this morning between 5:00am and 7:35am, we think he died standing up and just fell over. even though he died i would still like to know if anyone knows anything.

So sorry :hugs, wish there had been something we could have done.

NY HELP APPRECIATED.
This is our first time having ducklings. We bought them a couple weeks ago and they were all growing normally until about a week ago. One started falling behind but was still acting normal so I didn't think much about it until the last couple days when she (idk if it is male or female just say she) started to be lethargic compared to the other ducks. I separated her out for fear that the others would trample on her as they have grown tremendously. She is now not walking and keeps one leg crumpled up. She also is not stretching her neck out. Her foot seems to have a necrotic or bruised area that has gotten bigger since yesterday. We added a vitamin and electrolyte mix and probiotic to her water and I've tried getting her to eat peas also in case it's a niacin deficiency.
She eats and drinks when I put her bill to it and has tried standing today to no avail. Just curious if there's anything else I can do for her or is she not going to make it? I was going to pick up brewers yeast today as well. I attached pics to help explain how she looks.

You need niacin ASAP...Peas will not cure her....Brewers yeast works....

Thanks! I bought straight niacin and added to her water along with some of her food. She's drinking it up. How long until I should expect to see improvement?

I am no expert on niacin....:(....I can supply mine with Duck food.....All I do know is it has to be a certain type of Niacin for Ducklings.....

I will tag Miss Lydia......

Is this plain niacin @courtlet at least 150 mgs?

If a niacin def it can take 2 to 7 days to notice any difference. Could she have some how injured her foot since you say your seeing a bruised area? Does the foot and leg feel cold to the touch compared to the other one? Any swelling or unusual heat?

Here is a better pic of the affected foot. As far as I know, no injury unless one of the other ducklings did something before I separated them. I decided to do that when one of them pecked at her feet in the bathtub two nights ago (ironically not the affected foot) The purple place on her webbing has spread since I noticed it yesterday and feels rough to touch. Yesterday only the two toenails were purple. And yes those two toes are cooler to touch.

Is this plain niacin @courtlet
   at least 150 mgs? 

If a niacin def it can take 2 to 7 days to notice any difference. Could she have some how injured her foot since you say your seeing a bruised area? Does the foot and leg feel cold to the touch compared to the other one?  Any swelling or unusual heat? 

The softgels of niacin are 500mg. I cut it open and put a small amount into her water. About 1/4-1/2. I was afraid to put too much.

Here is a better pic of the affected foot. As far as I know, no injury unless one of the other ducklings did something before I separated them. I decided to do that when one of them pecked at her feet in the bathtub two nights ago (ironically not the affected foot) The purple place on her webbing has spread since I noticed it yesterday and feels rough to touch. Yesterday only the two toenails were purple. And yes those two toes are cooler to touch.

thats strange
what is that on her 'heel' is it poop?

what else are you feeding
is it cold where you are
have you taken them swimming yet?

Back
Top Bottom