so mad at my son's school-UPDATE PG 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not all public schools are bad. I've been wonderfully blessed to have my 13 year old son in a wonderful middle school with wonderful teachers. I've never had a problem, and I keep in touch with his teachers frequently.

When I was in elementary school I kept getting stomach aches and other random ailments. I didn't know it, but they were caused by STRESS. I was in first grade. My mother noticed, and switched me to another school. Suddenly I loved school, my reading and math skills went up... It was the school, and the people that made me stressed.

If I ever have kids I would try to arrange my life to home school them. Everyone I know that has been home schooled are the most well adjusted ones. The one's in a certain private school are all in counseling. It just seems like a big chance to take.

Anyway, I can't say how angry I'd be at the school, since I have no kids. It seems as though the least they could have done is call you, first. And there is a difference between saying "don't touch my child" and saying "don't randomly wash my child's hair for no reason other than you don't like it." Which is what I feel happened in this case.

Edited to clarify, I don't think ALL schools are bad. It's just that you can't tell until the kids are already in it, if they're okay or not.

Last edited:
Ok, here is an update. My husband went into the school and asked to speak to the principal, no he's in a class. How about the vice principal, no she isn't in her office. My husband told the secretary that he needs to speak to someone and she needs to help him. She told him no! Dh was FURIOUS. Nicely told her if she didn't get someone for him to speak to he would have to go to the superintendent's office. She said go ahead. Here is where it gets even better. It seems when dh called and asked for the nurse, he never got the nurse, this secretary got on and pretended to be her! My husband got to the super's office and had to wait for them to come back from lunch, no problem. Dh went in and explained what happened, superintendent called the principal and he came over. The principal was never told about any of this. Seems that my son's teacher was out today. The student teacher in his class took over for the day, told the principal that she didn't have a problem with the way my son looked and he wasn't a distraction at all. The teacher down the hall is the one that sent my son to the nurse, he does not have this teacher at all. Dh asked the principal about the policy re: hair color, his answer was "there is none"
ep.gif

He agreed the teacher was wrong as was the nurse. We should have been contacted if there was an issue, THIS is policy. He said he was also going to speak to this secretary as it was not her place to decide whether my husband could see them. The principal was supposed to talk to my son and tell him he did nothing wrong(haven't had a chance to talk to him as he has swim right after school).
All of you who think we are going overboard...My son is very sensitive and shy. The nurse made him take off his shirt so she could wash his hair. There was no medical neccessity for this, she overstepped her bounds period. The whole time the nurse was on the phone with me there was a woman in the background complaining that my son had green on his skin too, in front of my son she was ranting and raving. Very unprofessional. We are not sure if this was the secretary or the teacher who sent him down there, we are still investigating. This is far from over. This is not a matter of his teacher, but someone that just couldn't mind their own business......

I would have issues , I didnt know they made him take his shirt off. Im sorry call me senstive , no adult has the right to make my child take his cloths off but his DR unless its something that really needs it like he is completely soaked for some reason or something. Then they can let him change into something else in the pivacy of a bathroom stall or something, call me wierd but I would be haveing a fit .

I am so glad your hubby went to the super and the super took the matter seriously. Oh and I would be peeee'od if they took my sons shirt off. He still wears a shirt in the lake. Also find out what they were washing him with. Shampoo isn't usually something the school has around. It makes me question whether they used hand soap or the occasional sample of lice shampoo on him. I would be livid if they used a chemical shampoo without my permission.

Wow. I hear the sounds of heads rolling down the school's hallways. Poorly handled by the school all around. Sounds to me like the teacher and the nurse might have an apology in their future that they need to give for not handling their concerns in a professional manner and in a way consistent with school policy.

Your DH was smart to go to the superintendent - the Principal will get (appropriate) heat for not having a grip on what is happening at his school. And in turn the principal will have a few things to say to the teacher and the nurse about how to handle dress/appearance policy issues. My guess is that they will now be very careful with policies when your son is around.

So sorry that your son was put in this situation.

Wow.

the principal apologized profusely, but dh said it is not your fault, he was completely unaware of the whole situation, BUT dh expects him to do something to rectify it. We are not unreasonable, but expect this to be handled properly....

eta- we are giving the principal some slack as this is his first year at this school and still getting acquainted with his staff.....

Last edited:
WOW! I wonder if a certain secretary will have a job after all this. I'm sure the Principal was MORE than embarrassed to be called to the Sup's office over something he knew nothing about. Heads may roll... at least one anyway.
pop.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom