so mad at my son's school-UPDATE PG 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have kids but whoa

There is no way that a teacher or school nurse would get by making a child of mine remove his shirt so she can wash his hair.

Congrats to your husband for not settleing When he was upset.Their is always someone father up the ladder who doesn't know but will get involved. I've made a name for myself at our school. After a couple meetings with teachers,supers, and principals they all know me. I even had a teacher quit the day she found out about the meeting.
(I always act adult and ask questions as there is always a second side.) get the facts then react.

Sounds like DH handled it well. Asked questions to the correct people, instead of going in there looking to fight.

My kids go to public school, can't believe how well we've been treated. My DS was one of those that never applied himself fully, just good enuf to stay out of trouble long term--short term, every teacher knew me by site. Irony--DS is studying to be teacher and I've told him that I hope he gets a classroom just like him. Reason (got to brag a little) I type this is because, I've found w/people, treat them decent and it comes back that way to us.

I aplaud the teachers/administrators as they try to keep girls from dressing like sluts and boys like drug dealers. Parents say they are "expressing themselves" but we all know what it is. I have no problem w/"home schooled" kids but here most of them are just on full time recess--this area has a lot of them, including some of our friends.

Quote:
When my son grows up I HOPE he says homeschool was like "full-time" recess.
celebrate.gif

I will have done my job.
thumbsup.gif

He's 2 full grade levels ahead BTW - and in thrid grade he tested with a ninth grade vocabulary. We have never spent more than 2-3 hours a day on school, funny I bet an "outsider" would think we were on full time recess if they saw our day. Kids having fun while they learn stuff? Outrageous!
old.gif

As far as this hair issue - I'm glad you guys are getting some satisfaction and I think your hubby handled it very well.
smile.png

Quote:
celebrate.gif

I will have done my job.
thumbsup.gif

He's 2 full grade levels ahead BTW - and in thrid grade he tested with a ninth grade vocabulary. We have never spent more than 2-3 hours a day on school, funny I bet an "outsider" would think we were on full time recess if they saw our day. Kids having fun while they learn stuff? Outrageous!
old.gif

As far as this hair issue - I'm glad you guys are getting some satisfaction and I think your hubby handled it very well.
smile.png

Again, no problem w/home schooled kids if they are skooled..... Earlier ages, I can see an advantage but in middle/HS; it will get tougher--not impossible. I personnally do not want to be knowledgable enough to teach organic chem, physics, calc,etc.. I took them in college and don't want to re-educate myself again.

Last edited:
Quote:
Quote:
celebrate.gif

I will have done my job.
thumbsup.gif

old.gif

smile.png

Again, no problem w/home schooled kids if they are skooled..... Earlier ages, I can see an advantage but in middle/HS; it will get tougher--not impossible. I personnally do not want to be knowledgable enough to teach organic chem, physics, calc,etc.. I took them in college and don't want to re-educate myself again.

Thank you, seedcorn, this entire thread speaks volumes about what's wrong with our schools today and "educatin' kids", and I ain't talkin' 'bout no teacher, school employee, or school.

Last edited:
It seems that there are a number of concerns here.

If colored hair was taboo, it should have be written in the Code of Conduct. Was your child the only one to have his hair washed? If the school decided to enact a policy about colored hair after the Code of Conduct was printed, was a letter sent home to the parents letting them know that brightly colored hair wasn't allowed in school?

Perhaps the teacher and nurse could be given the benefit of the doubt. Everyone makes mistakes. No one is perfect. The feelings that you have for this teacher is separate from the color of the hair.

Again, was your child singled out? It's hard to believe that no one else in the school came to school with colored hair. If so, how did the students know that it wasn't allowed?

As far as the nurse, that's a toughie. Assuming that she had the best of intentions, a better course of action might have been to let you son go to the boys' bathroom and remove the color himself. Taking off his shirt is a no-no.

What's difficult for educators now is that our schools are often blamed for the ills of society. Low test scores, children who seem to have lost their respect for authority, Columbine. The list is endless.

As far as the saying on the t-shirt, I can honestly see where a school might want students to demonstrate respect. Again, this should be written in the Code of Conduct.

If the school district feels that something that a child wears is distracts others or is rude, I don't have a problem with that. Again, this must be made clear at the beginning of the school year.

As long as my child was able to wear dry clothing, I would be happy if the school changed her wet clothing. I think that it would be more of an embarrassment to her to be soaked in urine all day. Again, some schools let parents send in extra clothing, some don't. There are times when my daughter has been sent home in what may be construed as boy's clothing. Maybe it's just me, but I'm happy that the school tried to make her feel comfortable.

Not much bothers me because I know how difficult it can be to work in a school system. There was only one time when I went to a member of the School Board; but that was after I followed the chain of command and didn't get any assistance.

All the best to everyone,

Suzy

frow.gif

Quote:
celebrate.gif

I will have done my job.
thumbsup.gif

old.gif

smile.png

Since I am a scientist - that stuff is easy for me. Plus I LIKE learning stuff I forgot all over again - I think learning is fun. And I write and publish homeschool curriculum - so hey - maybe I'm not the "typical homeschooler" but I'm far more typical in the homeschool world than you'd suspect. Plus, I'm guessing that you've never looked through any homeschool curriculum?

But this thread isn't about homeschooling, it is about the government schools thinking they can over step their bounds with people's children. This is far from the only example out there. Just watch the news.

The reason they have these " Disturbance rules" is to control the kids in a mass education environment. They must bring everyone to the same level so they can produce a consistent product. It doesn't matter if the product is good or bad in comparison to the other products, it just matters that they achieve consistency. When a 50-60% proficency rate becomes acceptable (and that is at the average school) you have pretty much let the kids down.

My website logo pretty much says what homeschool is all about;

"Creating Individuals".
thumbsup.gif

Like I said - I really and truly hope that EVERYONE thinks we are on perpetual recess. In fact, that's now my NEW HOMESCHOOL GOAL!
wink.png

Quote:
celebrate.gif

I will have done my job.
thumbsup.gif

old.gif

smile.png

You are right, it would get tougher if the parent isn't a genius, but as we all know, public school, home school, online school, whatever it might be doesn't always work for anyone or everyone. More people are moving towards online, there are still teachers with their fancy titles and such, but it's still at home so parents can instill the morals and rules they want. I admit I had a horrible time at public schools that would make most people shudder, but now I'm doing great with online.

Kees, while I agree with most of what you say, we have to understand that schools cannot write every conceivable rule for the children to follow. Sometimes it just takes common sense to know that a specific behavior, form of dress, or any myriad of actions that some child can come up with is against any standard what should be part of or transpire in a normal school day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom