so mad at my son's school-UPDATE PG 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I completely agree with you. However, people often differ on what is acceptable or not.

Suzy

frow.gif

Your husband handled that really well. The teachers could have used the green hair to Bring up history or something about Ireland. or immigration to the U.S or anything positive. I think the schools worry about the wrong things sometimes. Who cares if he had Green hair on St. Patrick's day. He was probaly amped about having green hair and participating in something. I can't believe some of these teachers and school officials now days!! ( Not taking away from the wonderful common sense ones) Maybe some of these ditz teachers I've ran into should take a course in "common Sense" or " Don't be a drama queen/king" . On the other hand , my kids are homeschooled for the time being but they have had some great wonderful teachers before too. When I was growing up , the teachers were more strict about things , but they didn't pay much attention to what you were wearing .
Your son probaly went to school all excited and these dumdums ruint it for him!! Education doesn't always give people common sense.

Quote:
Again, no problem w/home schooled kids if they are skooled..... Earlier ages, I can see an advantage but in middle/HS; it will get tougher--not impossible. I personnally do not want to be knowledgable enough to teach organic chem, physics, calc,etc.. I took them in college and don't want to re-educate myself again.

Since I am a scientist - that stuff is easy for me. Plus I LIKE learning stuff I forgot all over again - I think learning is fun. And I write and publish homeschool curriculum - so hey - maybe I'm not the "typical homeschooler" but I'm far more typical in the homeschool world than you'd suspect. Plus, I'm guessing that you've never looked through any homeschool curriculum?

But this thread isn't about homeschooling, it is about the government schools thinking they can over step their bounds with people's children. This is far from the only example out there. Just watch the news.

The reason they have these " Disturbance rules" is to control the kids in a mass education environment. They must bring everyone to the same level so they can produce a consistent product. It doesn't matter if the product is good or bad in comparison to the other products, it just matters that they achieve consistency. When a 50-60% proficency rate becomes acceptable (and that is at the average school) you have pretty much let the kids down.

My website logo pretty much says what homeschool is all about;

"Creating Individuals".
thumbsup.gif

Like I said - I really and truly hope that EVERYONE thinks we are on perpetual recess. In fact, that's now my NEW HOMESCHOOL GOAL!
wink.png

Scientist? Yeah, right, is that anything like "sanitation engineer"?
What sophistry! What nonsense.

Quote:
I completely agree with you. However, people often differ on what is acceptable or not.

Suzy

frow.gif

What is common sense to you may not be common sense to everybody else. A teacher or school nurse with "common sense " would not have made such a big deal over a little kid having green hair just for St. Patrick's day. Oh and Suzy I agree with you 100% . A teacher with "common sense" would have turned this into a learning oppurtunity instead of a " " big old drama ".

Quote:

Suzy

frow.gif

What is common sense to you may not be common sense to everybody else. A teacher or school nurse with "common sense " would not have made such a big deal over a little kid having green hair just for St. Patrick's day. Oh and Suzy I agree with you 100% . A teacher with "common sense" would have turned this into a learning oppurtunity instead of a " " big old drama ".

The teacher should have taken the boy to the principal, and the principal should have called the parents and told them to come and get their little darling who took it upon himself to show up with green hair and announce that his sister would show up later with same.

Quote:
yes, he was the only one to have his hair washed, and no he wasn't the only one in school today with colored hair. I spoke to one of the noon aides that does lunch (my dh coached her son for years) and she told me that there were other kids that colored their heads. Also a lot of kids had hats on in school, which is against the code of conduct, hat's are only acceptable if for a medical reason. If you want to try to *stick to the rules* then actually enforce the ones that are there and not the made up ones.
The principal also admitted there wasn't anything that states that colored hair is not allowed.

actually the teacher that told my son that it was against the school rules is different from his teacher, he told me he was afraid she was going to give him a detention if he didn't get his hair clean, so he frantically went into his class and was trying to scrub the color off with a paper towel. I don't know if I said it, but my son is 8 and has a little bit of an anxiety disorder. He cries if he thinks he is in trouble, we are working on it
wink.png

We are old fashioned, at least that is what some would call it. My children dress appropriately (my 13yo daughter isn't allowed to wear her "I had a nightmare I was a blonde" t-shirt because I think it is too rude to wear to school/ I didn't buy it, was given to her by her cousin). We are always teaching our children values, respect, manners and we actually parent out kids and don't put that onto the teachers. We have told all of our kids teachers if they have ANY problems, call us. We get told all the time how are children are such a pleasure, polite, well behaved, because we take the time with them.

My husband tried the chain, and was blocked. The member of the school board is my mother, who also thought this whole situation was ridiculous.

As far as an apology to my son, telling him he didn't do anything wrong, he never got it. The principal just told him that even though he had to go to the nurse, he is not in trouble.
rant.gif
what kind of thing is this? This is a CYA, and not admit fault, which I find unacceptable........

Quote:

The teacher should have taken the boy to the principal, and the principal should have called the parents and told them to come and get their little darling who took it upon himself to show up with green hair and announce that his sister would show up later with same.

actually it was our idea, and he loved it! an 8 yo couldn't possibly have done it, which goes back to the point of , I should have gotten a call......

eta- this is child #3 that has gone throught this system, both of my older kids(2 different schools,same system) got nice comments today on their hair
roll.png

Last edited:
Im just sitting here laughing at some of the responses .When i was in school you did not come to school with green hair ,and if you got in trouble at school , you got in trouble at home .now if a child gets in troubleat school the parents say "what did the teacher do to you" what they should do is support the teacher.it makes me wonder how long are people going to blame someone else for their childs behavor ,what are people going to do when there child grows up gets a job and has a dress code. what then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom