So no BR/d'Anvers crosses for me..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Queen of the Lilliputians, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    So.. my little roo (d'Anvers) made an attempt to, um.. fertilize the eggs of my Barred Rock hen.

Poor little guy. All I can say is if the cloaca was located smack dab in the the middle of her left wing, it would've been a homer. As it was.. it was a disappointing fowl (LOL! Or should I have said, "a disappointED fowl??).

I think he wasn't too impressed, either, since he wandered around for the next 15 minutes trying to figure out who would work out better for him!

So.. that answers my question of whether or not I'd get some d'Anvers crosses from my flock!! LOL! Well, at least I have a d'Anvers pullet in there, as well as a silkie cross, so there will be a couple of ladies more his size.

I wonder if Lucky, the bantam cochin, will work out better with my BIG GIRLS when he gets old enough?

Meghan

2. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

I wonder what the BR was thinking. "What the heck is this guy doing?" [​IMG]

Better luck w/ the cochin!

3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    That's funny

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I burst out laughing...sorry that your boy's aim is way off!

5. Mac

Mac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    South Central PA
    A very funny story on a day I really needed to hear one.

Thanks from Mac

6. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    My bantam cochin roo tries this with my wyandotte and EE hens but I don't think he quite "connects". I've never tried to incubate the eggs to find out though.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Took one of my past silkie roos about 4 months to figure out how to work with the standard ladies. He had even grabbed their tails on mistake a few times near the beginning. Eventually he got it down. Grab the middle of the back, stand on the tail, and everything else is good to go. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by