So Sad! Lost a Hen Last Night to the Cold. Need Advice.

I made the mistake of buying a store bought coop and a big design flaw is that the coop doesn't actually have a door! This is what I have:

http://www.waremfginc.com/b-detaildisplay.aspx?itemno=14061

I took the run off because it was too difficult to get to the chickens and to clean it out and the birds were free ranging anyway. I'm wondering if I install a small pet door there that has a plastic piece that slides into it to close it off would be a suitable cheap fix until the spring when I get a new, bigger, better coop.
You might be able to rig up a door, or at least a make-shift covering for that. You might be able to get a dog door and install it if the hole is the right size.

Would an led lantern work. My coop is pretty far from electricity. If I lock them in the run they will go to the coop at night.

Would an led lantern work. My coop is pretty far from electricity. If I lock them in the run they will go to the coop at night.

I would lock them in the run until they have the habit of going to the coop at night as well as rigging up a door. In about a week, once they've really gotten going into the coop firmly entrenched in their little chicken brains, then you can let them out again. If you let them out about an hour before dusk, they shouldn't have wandered too far away and you can see if they'll coop up for you. If they don't, lock them in the run for a bit again until the habit is firmly established. No matter what, I'd rig up a door just to stop winter drafts as well as predators.

If they go in by themselves, you won't need the lantern.

Last edited:
Healthy birds don't die due to low temperatures.alone. The fact they were "covered with snow" tells you their feathers are retaining the 100 degrees their bodies are producing..

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom