So sad : (

careeka22

Songster
Jul 29, 2016
Aylett VA
I feel like this was my fault but I was letting my 9 week old chicks free range right by their coop. It's on the side of my house down a hill and they never went past the woods right beside it. There is a house several feet on the other side. Well I was home but my inlaws came over, I got distracted and we left for dinner (during the daylight 4:30pm) and I forgot to put them up. We were gone about an hour and we come out and my buff orphington chick is nowhere to be seen. I checked all through the woods, around my house, etc and nothing. The other 4 chicks were in the coop. My husband thinks it was a hawk, we are in rural VA so we have hawks, eagles, etc. No one knew they were there so not likely a person or a stray unless a cat got her. I feel so bad.

My husband said we don't know when it happened and it isn't my fault but I feel to blame. She was such a sweet chick. My girls and I have got really attached to them. Now I'm afraid to let the others out, any advice?? They are pretty big now but maybe I need to let them get even bigger. Here she is with my daughter, she named her Elsa. The one of all of them was taken about 3 weeks ago, she is the blonde one and the smallest. The other pics are 3 others roosting on the trash can and my daughter holding my roo, he is the biggest.

I'm so sorry about your hen :hugs
It's not your fault.
It was just an accident everyone makes mistakes.
The chick might come back and I hope she does.
Goodluck with it.

So sorry! Any predator will return, if not daily, then every three or four days (hawks especially) so keep your birds in lockdown for at least ten days or so. Get a live trap or two and see what arrives (only if you will shoot varmits in it!). I've learned not to spread treats or food outside of my coop and run, also attractive to prowlers. Good luck. Mary

We lost one of ours 2 days ago. She was just 5 months old. We believe a coyote got her due to feathers strewn around. These are my first chickens and I am devestated. They have been so happy free ranging but now I totally regret letting them. The other 3 are not happy confined in their run. We have had so much joy this summer with them on our property, 1 acre, and now I am a nervous wreck... Just wanted to share my situation. I'm still sad and worried... and haven't even had my first egg!

So sorry to hear about your girl :( It is very sad, I too, hope she comes back.

I lost my first flock of 6 last month all in one attack...they would have been close to 5 months old this month...We had them since they were 2 days old. People on here were very helpful and supportive. It's good to talk about it. I felt that guilt you're feeling as well. My girls free ranged during the day (when we were home) and were so happy & friendly--we loved watching them. They were closed in their coop way before dark each evening. The one time I let my guard down, didn't lock them up and left the house for a couple hrs, poof, they were gone. It happened during the day..... I was sick about it for weeks. It still makes me sad when I walk back to their coop. Ironically enough, I have 6 tomato plants that came up in front of their coop. I would feed them tomatoes, so some seeds were dropped at some point. One plant for each of my girls
love.gif

Big hugs to you and your family
hugs.gif

Some great words of wisdom I received on here: it's not your fault, it happens to just about everyone AND it's not about IF it will happen, but WHEN it will happen. They are very vulnerable to predators....and smart ones that will stalk them for weeks before attacking.

I thought I will just add the story of my first chickens
I bought my first chickens.
It was about 8 years ago so I'm not sure of exactly how many I had
But I think it was 8 hens and a rooster.
I live on a farm and there is an old chicken house made of bricks attached to a shed.
It is about 10x10 foot.
Every night I would round the hens up and let them free range around 30 acres during the day.
One morning I went out to let the hens out and some were missing and some were on the ground with no head.
It was a horrible sight and it was devastating.
I found the rest of the chickens around the farm heard with no heads.
I think it was a mink that got in a 3 inch gap that was underneath the door and some how pullet out chickens.
The rooster was still alive but a few weeks later he got taken by a fox.
I let stuff settle down a bit befour a got afew more hens.
After I got some more I decided to add some ducks.
8 of them.
Some hens started to get taken by a fox and all the ducks got killed by my dog.
I then just decided to give up.
Untill 2011 and I then bought an eletric fence and I got into pure breeds.
Thankfully nothing has gotten killed since then but sadly sometimes some do fly over the top.
I again really hope your hen comes back one of mine came back befour and I just hope you one comes back
Goodluck
Fionn.

Thanks for your support and sharing your sad story. My saving grace now is my dog, a German Shepard, who is very alert and vocal. Last nite I am sure there was something lurking around and she chased it off. But it is nice weather now and once our rain starts she won't be a big support... So for now i need to cover their run so they won't fly out and just really limit their free range time. I sure wish I hadn't been so naive thinking it wouldn't happen to us. Thanks agin for sharing. Will you get more chicks?

How awful! Luckily I just saw feathers. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad the electric fence is working and safe now for you and them.

So sorry! Any predator will return, if not daily, then every three or four days (hawks especially) so keep your birds in lockdown for at least ten days or so. Get a live trap or two and see what arrives (only if you will shoot varmits in it!). I've learned not to spread treats or food outside of my coop and run, also attractive to prowlers. Good luck. Mary

Thanks I've been supervising them outside and so worried. I don't think it was anything on the ground unless a cat was brave enough and dragged it off.

So sorry to hear about your girl :( It is very sad, I too, hope she comes back.

I lost my first flock of 6 last month all in one attack...they would have been close to 5 months old this month...We had them since they were 2 days old. People on here were very helpful and supportive. It's good to talk about it. I felt that guilt you're feeling as well. My girls free ranged during the day (when we were home) and were so happy & friendly--we loved watching them. They were closed in their coop way before dark each evening. The one time I let my guard down, didn't lock them up and left the house for a couple hrs, poof, they were gone. It happened during the day..... I was sick about it for weeks. It still makes me sad when I walk back to their coop. Ironically enough, I have 6 tomato plants that came up in front of their coop. I would feed them tomatoes, so some seeds were dropped at some point. One plant for each of my girls
love.gif

Big hugs to you and your family
hugs.gif

Some great words of wisdom I received on here: it's not your fault, it happens to just about everyone AND it's not about IF it will happen, but WHEN it will happen. They are very vulnerable to predators....and smart ones that will stalk them for weeks before attacking.

OMG I'm so sorry! That's horrible. Really sweet about the plants though, kind of a reminder. I try not to think about it and have been watching the others no more unsupervised time! Just doesn't feel right missing one.

Back
Top Bottom