So that was embarrassing...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Sphinx, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I have a child who has asthma and allergies.

She had a regularly scheduled appointment with her allergist. The appointment was going smoothly, nothing interesting to report.

Then, the question happened. It was a reasonable enough question, given that we were there to discuss her allergies, and her environment was an important aspect to discuss. However, it exposed me for the crazy chicken lady that I am.

"So," the doctor says casually, "What indoor pets do you have?"

"Ummmm, we have a couple of cockatiels" I begin, as I start to blush.

"We also have a bunch of chickens!" My son piped up helpfully.

"In the HOUSE?!" The doctor replied, somewhat astonished.

"Well, they're just bitty chicks, it's too cold for them to go outside."

"But we're getting five more in a few days," my daughter adds.

"So, how many chickens are in your house?"

"After these new ones hatch, 10. But this isn't normal- I swear that keeping chickens in the house isn't a normal thing" I try to clarify.

The doctor just looked a little bewildered and changed the subject.

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    But around here, keeping chickens in the house IS a normal thing:-D

3. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    You're absolutely right about that.

I live firmly in the suburbs though, and having chickens in the first place is somewhat noteworthy. I don't know anyone locally who has house chickens.

4. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

Little baby chicks? That is normal, especially since it is winter. Last winter I have thirty chicks inside. They were inside for about three weeks, then moved to the garage when the smell became unbearable from so many. Ten is nothing...

5. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Same here, we're in the suburbs and not many people around us have chickens, nevermind House chickens! (Not really, we just bring one disabled chicken in occasionally.....) So when I tell our neighbors about our chickens, we become the talk of the town! LOL!
    [​IMG]

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]
    My years of having horses allowed me to develop a rather strange sort of relationship with the urgent care doctor.

My first visit: Horse stepped on my foot. Lots of bruising but not much swelling. Dr. Ahpoo radiographed the foot found no fractures and sent me on my way. I refused the LoriTab Rx which made me stick in his mind.

The second visit: Was thrown off a horse and severely sprained the ankle attached to the previously stomped foot. Lots of swelling and bruising which resulted in a radiograph. I was sent home with a 'boot' similar to a Klingon war boot, and a Rx of LoriTab which I again refused. This earned me a narrow gaze from Dr. Ahpoo.

Third visit: Horse pawed the back of my leg which took a bit too much off the back of my heel. The pain was incredible. Moderate swelling with little bruising, but the laceration needed the attention of Dr. Ahpoo. This time he knew who I was.

"How many horses do you have?" he asked in a thickly accented voice. "I had no idea they could be so dangerous. I took care of elephants as I grew. They can stomp you, knock you down with their trunks. Truly, they were dangerous. I had no idea horses could be so dangerous."

"Two," I replied. "I've had them for 10 years."

"I don't think horses are good for you," he advised. "I recommend you sell the horses. You will live longer," he added with a smile.

Of course I ignored his advice and as the years passed, Dr. Ahpoo took care of my various horse related accidents. He always told me he never knew horses were so dangerous. I always refused his Rx of LoriTab.

Then one day I came for my routine post horse accident care and Dr. Ahpoo was sporting a mighty fancy cast on his arm.

"Fell off a horse?" I teased.

"Car accident," he replied and checked the chart. "Ah, I see you fell off a horse."

"I was riding a friend's horse. He tripped and went down. I twisted my knee during the emergency dismount."

As he rotated my leg about with his good arm he said he might have to sell his damaged car. "I had no idea driving to work could be so dangerous. I don't know if it's worth repairing, but she's paid for. You know how insurance companies are."

"Honestly," I replied. "I'd take the insurance money and buy a horse."

For some reason he thought my advice was funny.

I can't wait to see him for a chicken related accident.

"Dr. Ahpoo, I fell in chicken poop and hurt my back!"

I can almost hear him now, "I had no idea chickens were so dangerous."

7. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    [​IMG]

8. peepacheep

peepacheep Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] 2x!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by