So the police came to my door yesterday....

ZooMummzy

Queen of the Zoo
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Philomath, Oregon
and today my rooster is going to a new home
sad.png

I just need to vent a little bit to people I know care about such things. While my family is supportive, they really don't "get it".

I'm not angry about the fact he has to be rehomed...I always knew that was a possibility if someone complained in the neighborhood and I accept it as part of having chickens in a town setting. We are allowed to have chickens, including roosters, but they fall under the noise ordinances. All my immediate neighbors loved him and didn't have a problem with him. The ones who complained are the same pain in the you know what that turned my son in for playing in the street in front of our house! I am fairly certain now they are the same ones who turned our cars in two years ago when they were parked in front of our house. We were having a driveway put in and had to be off the area for 6 weeks while it was leveled, graveled and cemented. They also turned in our neighbors for running a pit bull puppy mill. Our neighbors have two bull mastiffs, both female and both 13 years old. So these people are not only nosey and without a life, but not too bright either. Now they have not only complained about my rooster (she knows I have chickens because she came to my Mom's estate sale and saw them), she has complained about my dogs. My dogs bark when someone comes into our yard like the postman, UPS, etc. This is why we have dogs! All the dogs in the neighborhood bark when this happens and we all like it. It tells us someone is around.

I am angry over all of this. The fact that in our small close neighborhood this elderly couple chooses to call the police instead of talk directly to us just about sends me over the edge!
barnie.gif
The mean streak in me says that I will live longer on my street than they will live on this earth. Horrible I know, but I'm tired of always having to explain myself to the cops and deal with the stress. The worst part of all this...if all of this wasn't bad enough...is I am in Ohio right now, 3000 miles away! I got the phone call from my husband last night while I was laying over in St. Louis. I can't even help deal with it, my family has to! I fear the cops are going to want to see that the rooster is gone next week, which means my daughter and husband are going to have to hide a few of my chickens because I'm over my permit limit. That is another sore subject with me, lol because all 12 people around my neighborhood who have chickens do not have a permit even! The people who live next door to the elderly narks even have chickens!!!

So, today my Blake, my baby boy and perfect rooster is going to live at the sanctuary that my other rooster I rehomed went. I was thankfully able to write a quick email before connecting on my flight last night and my friend was more than willing to take him today. I am happy he will have a good life but I am going to miss him terribly. I raised him from a baby and he was special. I'm both sad I'm not there to say goodbye today but also a bit happy because I don't know how I would do it
hit.gif
Thank you for listening to me and letting me vent. The upside of this is silkiechicken is hatching some of his babies right now and I'm having my daughter put all the eggs we've collected and will collect for the next 2 weeks from my girls aside so we can hatch some more. I hope to get a least a couple pullets from the hatches so I can have a part of him with me.

Start making calls about them...just pick anything to call about.
wink.png

* Disclaimer....okay, i'm evil..and lying is wrong and isnt nice,...but eh...
hu.gif

I'd probably go to their door and talk to them, in such cases you either A. Can work things out. B. Hate them worse. or C. Scare them bad enough because you know who did the calling and you wanted to have a face-to-face moment they'll hide in their house and never call again (or maybe that's just me... People wonder about me but i swear I'm like a big teddybear
big_smile.png
)

If you do go to talk to them bring a neighbor or someone not in your house for a witness. because they can say that you threatened them or something..i wouldnt trust them.

The noise ordinance usually has a decibel level and it must be broken for a set amount of time. Roosters, 99% of the time do not break the decibel level and do not continue to crow for 30-45 seconds. (unless you have a long crower)

The decibel reading must be taken at the complainers house too, not on your property. I would ask them to prove that your rooster is breaking the ordinance.

pips&peeps :

The noise ordinance usually has a decibel level and it must be broken for a set amount of time. Roosters, 99% of the time do not break the decibel level and do not continue to crow for 30-45 seconds. (unless you have a long crower)

The decibel reading must be taken at the complainers house too, not on your property. I would ask them to prove that your rooster is breaking the ordinance.

Yeah, i am with you! I would have told them to
duc.gif
off! I would have fought it just because they are ignorant idiots!
rant.gif
Start sending them casket brochures, cremation pamphlets , depends coupons, blah blah blah. Jack
duc.gif
somad.gif
barnie.gif
he.gif
I hate people like that!​

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree with this and also with the PP who said take someone with you. A few years ago when I lived in an upstairs apartment, the guy below me started locking the front door of the building every time my kids went outside to play, so they couldn't get back in (he was some kind of weirdo anyway but that's another story). I'm sure since there were multiple residents in the building he thought I wouldn't know who it was who kept locking the door. I went down and knocked on his door and told him I knew it was him, that he was a bully, and that since the complex rules were that the doors remain unlocked from 7am-11pm, he was in violation if he locked them between those hours and I WOULD report him to the building manager if it happened again. He never locked the doors again. There are a lot of people who will hide behind anonymity to try to get away with low-down behaviors because they are essentially cowards. If you confront them and let them know that you know it was them, they just may stop.

Quote:
Yeah, i am with you! I would have told them to
duc.gif
off! I would have fought it just because they are ignorant idiots!
rant.gif
Start sending them casket brochures, cremation pamphlets , depends coupons, blah blah blah. Jack
duc.gif
somad.gif
barnie.gif
he.gif
I hate people like that!

yuckyuck.gif

Back
Top Bottom