So this is new..

ndcallahan

Chirping
Apr 1, 2022
Kansas City
Not sure what to do…. We have has a welsh harlequin and a Cayuga female go missing…. Would it be possible one of them is still around and hatching babies? This lil dude showed up this morning…

None of the current count of ducks seem to be taking on to it yet. lol

Do I just leave it be?

Attachments

• IMG_1445.jpeg
    IMG_1445.jpeg
    409.4 KB · Views: 38
I've had a few of my ducks just go missing, and kept hoping that they maybe had gone broody and would show up with ducklings, but none never returned... That little one looks like it could be a mallard? Hopefully it has an adult taking care of it somewhere!

Unless there is a hen to transfer her oils to the duckling, it will get water-logged and drown. It also needs a hen to keep it warm. If there is no hen caring for it, I'd try to catch it.

If it was hatched it's possible it wondered away from the nest. I've had many hens sit on eggs but not care for the ducklings. In my experiences they wondered off and got too cold and died before I found them. :(

If you think it's wild, try to contact a local wildlife rehab. There are federal laws protecting migratory birds that come with big fines and jail time.

If you think it wandered off from one of your nesting, missing females, I'd try to find the nest. There may be more ducklings wondering around on their own. Some hens are good at hatching eggs but terrible at taking care of the kids.

Not sure what to do…. We have has a welsh harlequin and a Cayuga female go missing…. Would it be possible one of them is still around and hatching babies? This lil dude showed up this morning…

Do I just leave it be?

Do I just leave it be?
I had Welsh Harlequin x Khaki ducklings have wild type Mallard markings like that. So yes, she could have hatched him.
I second catching it. I am surprised the big ducks haven’t injured it yet.

Back
Top Bottom