So what gender is this weird toed chicken?

Quote:
99.9% no, But weird things do happen and there is a slim chance that they would. Also there could be a odd chance for a toenail to try to grow back but turns into a ingrown nail, but I have never seen one.

Quote:
that is weird. Maybe the cold weather is causing the pain kinda like arthritis?!?!
I have had my fair share of chickens getting toenails off in many different ways and they all seemed to live regular lives. Right now I have a roo that only has one wing because a dog jumped on his pin and ripped it off. He acts fine now too.

my poor roo has black on his comb too, hasn't fallen off yet though. Next winter I will definatly look into insulating the coop!

A few days ago I had to dub 3 of my roos due to frostbite. They feel a lot better now. Insulating your coop would be good expecially with straight combed or birds with low tolerance of cold. Coop design plays a part too.

Quote:
You won't notice rats until they are populated to higher numbers. I doubt it is rats or they would attack the other chickens, but it is very possible. If he had all his nails when you got him I would think that he might be a little clumsy and got them hung. The largeness could be due to scare tissue. For safe measure you could give him some antibiotics. In case it is infected.

I would check the other nails and see if any look broke, semi-broke, etc.. I would not be that strange if it was over looked. Most chickens that I have raised will show no sign of broken nails and such and even a broken toe. They will not limp because it shows weakness to the flock that could turn or a dominate roo to kill the weaker roo.

Last edited:
Quote:
yes it sure looks like a roo

I hope the OP knows if its a roo by now cuz the original post is from 3/2010
lol.png
Maybe they will update and let us know how the toes turned out!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom