So what if GMO corn causes cancer

So they did some 2 year tests on some mice that are prone to developing cancer, and they developed cancer.............but they have NO EVIDENCE from the 30+ years people have been eating it that shows it causes any problems at all.

EVERYTHING causes cancer according to one study or another. And according to one study or another, everything, including distilled water, is bad for you. A lot of these "studies" have an agenda, and the trial is set up so that the results will support whatever theory is being "tested". Many of the trials are flawed from the get-go. Remember the old computer mantra GIGO? Garbage in=garbage out.

Quote: But all with one agenda, which is to promote "organic" as the best thing since sliced bread.

There is still no conclusive evidence GMO crops cause any real problems at all

The first GMO food in the American marketplace was 1994; hardly 35 years ago. It was a complete bust...no one liked the "flaver saver" tomato. Since then, everything has snuck in quietly, with no labeling, no way to know what is in your food.

I agree that they are using the American public as experimental animals in this case. 1994 to 2012 is a short time, not quite a generation. We probably won't know the effects of GMO foods for another thirty years. Science evolves, and many things get onto the marketplace that are later found to be unwholesome, dangerous or even lethal. Benzine, Thalidomide, BPA, organochloride pesticides, lead in paint, heroin, etc have all been used, thought to be healthy alternatives to what existed, and now are banned, or suspect.

I'm not ready to say that GMO is good or bad. I think the fact of the matter is there hasn't been enough research. I do know that pesticide and herbicide use is actually going up now due to GMO crops. The grace period is over, just as it is for antibiotics. Organisms develop resistance, and you are only left with those that can withstand the insult. I will continue to avoid most GMO food crops because I think the verdict is still out.

I still say that if it was completely wholesome, wonderful etc; growers would want their product labeled. Because they do not, it certainly begs the question of why.

Technology has raced far beyond the legal ramifications of those technologies. Patenting genes is only one of the many Gordian knots of legal, moral and other complications that have come with biotechnology. I think the initial patent on a gene was a precedent making mistake. Those genes are novel, but they are not "invented", "developed" or "unique". They came from humans, plants and animals, and they have existed in their present forms for a long time. This is one of the reasons companies like GMO crops; the insertion of foreign genes into a plant or animal does make that "new" plant or animal patentable.

In vitro fertilization has brought on a whole lot of legal issues as well; many of which are still evolving. Who owns fertilized embryos? Who gets do decide what happens to unused embryos? Are they the company's property, the parent's property, or even property at all? Do embryos of deceased parents have rights to the parent's estates, pensions, etc? Some of the issues are already being decided in the courts. Unfortunately, the courts are not where these issues should be resolved. They should be dealt with on a legislative level.

Newer technologies on the horizon are going to bring even more questions. Freezing eggs has just made the news this week, and other recent news has included stem cells from cadavers, mice egg cells developed from skin cells, and other technologies. Human cloning, fusing eggs or sperm to create embryos, and other types of parthenogenesis can't be far behind.

Even getting a genetic test can cause all kinds of problems, and unforeseen complications. Recently, in the news, was a report of a young child forced to go to a different school because he has the genes for cerebral palsy, but not the disease. Can a medical provider compel genetic testing? Can they act on the results of a genetic test? Can a person be denied alcohol due to a predisposition towards alcoholism?

I'm sure anyone can extrapolate on some of these...gay couple and children, medical coverage for genetically predisposed positions, not being allowed to do certain things because of your genetic makeup, GMO foods completely unregulated in the market place, tailored drugs and who controls them. The lists are nearly endless. The potential for both good and bad outcomes are infinite.

Most of our lawmakers are uniformed about science, and many are very squeamish about the issues and implications of some of the technologies. If a "Personhood" law is passed, what are the implications for current reproductive technology? Would it outlaw in vitro fertilization? How about disposal of "non-viable" or "unusable" embryos? Would you be allowed to remove cells from a bastocyst for genetic testing?

The people in charge of making the laws governing these choices are woefully inadequate. Members of the House Science Committee think that there are magic girl parts that can repel rape sperm and that the theory of evolution is a lie "straight from the pit of hell". They are ignorant of the scientific method, and technology. They have little idea of the far ranging implications and effects of biotechnology. They have little interest in moving beyond the instructions and interests of their corporate sponsors or religious leaders. It is a brave new world out there, and the people we have elected to help us govern the choices are not doing a very good job of it. We have thrown it on the courts and can only hope for the best

On a tangential turn ~ I recently discovered Bountiful Gardens seed catalog and I believe they are doing a wonderful thing. They have a project of ecology action teaching people in different parts of the world to become self sustainable with "safe seeds". I do not believe they are out to make money as their cost of products reflects this. And their work around the world.

On a tangential turn ~ I recently discovered Bountiful Gardens seed catalog and I believe they are doing a wonderful thing. They have a project of ecology action teaching people in different parts of the world to become self sustainable with "safe seeds". I do not believe they are out to make money as their cost of products reflects this. And their work around the world.

Here's the thing. They can't sell GMO seeds unless they pay Monsanto a big royalty. So this "safe seed" thing is BS to make them sound earth friendly or something. It's a marketing thing. None of the seed companies sell GMO seed. You have to get that from Monsanto.

On another thought, I'm constantly amazed at how many people reject findings out of hand without even giving them serious consideration because they don't want to believe something.

Last edited:
They are saying they will not sell seed they suspect of wind contamination etc. Monsanto is far from the only company selling GMO seeds, and Monsanto allows other companies to use their technologies under certain circumstances. The big chemical/seed companies have been buying up all the smaller seed producers as well, so even if you are avoiding GMOs; buying seed for your veggie garden seed supports these industries. And make no mistake, Monsanto is a primarily a chemical company. Nothing on that little ad is green washing.

GMO's need more research...yes
GMO transfer genetic material outside genus, family, phylum and kingdom: yes
Conventional cross breeding does not transfer genetic material across genera, families, phylum and kingdom: yes
GMO crops can have great risks: yes
Conventional crops have healthier soil: yes

(I have to post every once in a while or I will lose the whole thing :/) ~ People were noticing health problems and were linking it back to additives and chemicals in their food. A good example is autism and ADHD. Parent's that changed the diet of their children had good results~Flash Forward to 2012 and there are many companies now that will use (organic) etc on labelling((free range eggs)we all know are not in many cases)~by getting around the labelling rules in order to make money because organics and such are more in demand today. However, there are business and people who are very careful to, do it the right way when they offer wholesome foods,organic, and non gmos.

Back
Top Bottom