So what if GMO corn causes cancer

Yep, that gene was there before it was ever "discovered" and the company that "discovered" it should have no more right to it than anyone else.

I'll go with a quote from Jonas Salk on the polio vaccine for this one "There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?".

thumbsup.gif

Quote:

Yep, that gene was there before it was ever "discovered" and the company that "discovered" it should have no more right to it than anyone else.

I'll go with a quote from Jonas Salk on the polio vaccine for this one "There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?".

thumbsup.gif
It never should have happened.

That is job of society as a whole to decide. Much as we decide speed limits, drug offenses, food labeling, clean air restrictions, etc.

For all of those who fear government, it certainly has a place here. I don't think unregulated corporate control of genetics, cloning technologies, reproductive technologies, cloned in vitro food production (vat meat), GMO crops, et al is a great idea for society.

At this point in my life, I sorely regret not going into grad school in genetics when I graduated from college. The applications, and implications are incredible. There is so much that they know and can do now compared to when I graduated from college. The biological sciences, particularly the spheres of biochemistry and genetics, have made enormous strides in the last 20-30 years.

As I said, the laws are lagging the science. We will have the technology to clone a human being long before we have decided if it is a good idea or not. There are so many questions brought up by science. We are reluctant to deal with them. They are often difficult for the non-scientist to follow, many of those in position to make the laws are uncomfortable with both the science and the moral issues. Many of the positions that lawmakers will eventually be forced to face will cause conflicts with both donors and constituents.

That is job of society as a whole to decide. Much as we decide speed limits, drug offenses, food labeling, clean air restrictions, etc.

For all of those who fear government, it certainly has a place here. I don't think unregulated corporate control of genetics, cloning technologies, reproductive technologies, cloned in vitro food production (vat meat), GMO crops, et al is a great idea for society.

At this point in my life, I sorely regret not going into grad school in genetics when I graduated from college. The applications, and implications are incredible. There is so much that they know and can do now compared to when I graduated from college. The biological sciences, particularly the spheres of biochemistry and genetics, have made enormous strides in the last 20-30 years.

As I said, the laws are lagging the science. We will have the technology to clone a human being long before we have decided if it is a good idea or not. There are so many questions brought up by science. We are reluctant to deal with them. They are often difficult for the non-scientist to follow, many of those in position to make the laws are uncomfortable with both the science and the moral issues. Many of the positions that lawmakers will eventually be forced to face will cause conflicts with both donors and constituents.
"That is job of society as a whole to decide."
So how will that work ? Because you already said the ones we have making the laws aren't up to it.
Do we turn it over to the U.N. ?

pop.gif

We the People, nee to get off out butts, and start electing people who are not morons. We need to demand that those who are representing us on things like the House Science Committee have a basic understanding of scientific principles, and at least a modicum of understanding. We need to demand that we have choices in labeling, choices in what goes on our plate and into our bodies. We need to ask for legislation that takes into account the factors of science.

We the People unfortunately make bad decisions when it comes to elections. We aren't willing to make hard choices either, thus we get the government we deserve...one by idiots for idiots. We are unwilling to stand up to corporate America and big money, and take back a government for the people. Our system is also set up so that the individual voices are very hard to hear, and the corporate and lobby voices are easy to hear.

Unfortunately ...there have been NO good choices to elect recently...so what do people do then?
They have to vote for the lesser evil...that's about all you can do..

Last edited:
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom