Soaking wet chickens in the rain/hypothermia threat?

Bocktobery 10

Songster
10 Years
Oct 8, 2010
I’d like to see fellow chicken people’s thoughts on this...

I just found my roo babies (they aren’t chicks but 2 year old Seramas) got drenched in an all day downpour. They were trapped in the run where there was not a whole lot of cover except some tall weeds. It’s hard to explain but to put it short- the door to their dry coop was blocked so they couldn’t get in. It’s 80 degrees Fahrenheit outside. I certainly don’t think that’s cold enough for a chicken, no where near it, but I’m concerned that they might be chilled given that they are soaked. Do I have to be concerned about hypothermia? I remember hearing that chickens regulate their body temperature with their feathers and can be susceptible to hypothermia if wet. Should I bring them inside and try to dry them off? I’ve of course removed the block and they are in the dry coop, but will they be ok just being wet? Keep in mind it’s not a hot summer day for us here today. The temperature feels more like an early autumn day.

Thanks so much in advance for any replies.

If they tolerate handling you can probably dry them off with a towel or some birds even appreciate a quick blow dry. I don't think it's anywhere near cold enough for them to get chilled... at 80 degrees mine would probably enjoy getting rained on.

Even at this time of year, when summer is allegedly upon us, my Bovans regularly get a good soaking, very much of their own volition. The temps are often in the high 50s or 60s and they seem to tolerate it well.

It's probably fine considering the temps there, but I will bow to the superior intellect of the more senior chickenheads round here.

I don't mean to make light of your comment... but my chickens would love to be soaked in 80-degree weather. If they were chicks or something I'd be concerned, but not full grown birds. You really don't need to worry about them (again adults) until you're under the 50's.

How do they look?

They looked miserable, but not shaking. Standing in one place. I checked to see how much of a drench they had...seemed to me everything was soaked to the skin... that’s why I was concerned for them. I heard wet birds can’t regulate body temps. I also heard that most birds only get their top feathers wet and the feather underneath mostly stay dry and this is why they are ok in rain.

They were walking around ok afterwards. So I do think they’re ok.

I don't mean to make light of your comment... but my chickens would love to be soaked in 80-degree weather. If they were chicks or something I'd be concerned, but not full grown birds. You really don't need to worry about them (again adults) until you're under the 50's.

I felt the same way. I just wasn’t sure and wanted to hear what other chicken keepers know. Sometimes I see my freeranging flick walk in the rain. They’re wet and seemingly fine with it, but usually when there’s a downpour they take shelter. These poor guys didn’t have the choice today and I wasn’t feeling particularly knowledgeable on if there was something I should do for them being soaked like that. But yeah.. I’d agree with you. I just didn’t know. Wanted to make sure. I love my roo babies!

No, chickens produce an astonishing amount of heat, they will be dry before you get them caught and the blow dryer plugged in.

Yes, I noticed they fluffed up a bit later. They were still damp by evening, but it had continued to sprinkle the rest of the day and they took the liberality to be out in it, so I guess that answers my question!

They looked like soggy drowned creatures when I found them! It was one of those downpours where it looks white everywhere. Everything got a good soak- including my behind which stuck out from underneath my umbrella while I was trying to “rescue” them.

I nearly lost some full grown pheasants to hurricane Harvey. They were in the run, instead of the sheltered area all night. The temp wasn't that low, maybe 78° but they were completely soaked. When I checked on them they were almost dead from hypothermia, literally laying in the pen, at first I thought they were dead. I brought their lifeless bodies inside put them in a brooder and turned on the lamp. After about an hour they were dry and up running around but they definitely can succumb to hypothermia if totally soaked.

Back
Top Bottom