Socializing chicks

Unless sick, i never add electrolytes. So any time.
As for socializing, is the goal to be able to hold them or them to just not run when you approach?
If the latter, you dont need to do anything but be a treat machine a few times and they will come running when they see you and follow you around.
If you want them to want to be held, the more positive inreractions the better. Hold them while providing treats. Keep them ear you during quiet times.
Will the dogs be allowed to interact with the chickens? Its always a good thing to get the dogs and birds used to each other so that the dog is not aggressive during free ranging and does not harass the caged birds in a run.
To do this, keep the birds in the cage at ground level with the dogs as often as possible but for gradually increasing duration. Never allow the dog to be aggressive at tge cage or exhibit predator behaviors.
Once the dog becomes indifferent to the caged birds. Move them to the run with the same rules.
If free ranging, begin with the dog on a long leash. Gradually increase time spent and freedom (length of leash). Agsin never allowing aggressive behavior and correcting it immediately. Then begin letting it off leash under close supervision.
It takes time and patience but I let our dog out unsupervised without a second thought. He and the birds are indifferent to each other.

They probably need to be a bit older if you want to move them in with your older birds. I’ve had hens kill birds that were too young. They should get friendlier the more you handle them. Good luck!
@casportpony

Question 1 answers: I have had raised chicks for about 2 years now, and all my chicks have been a little bit shy at that age. So it's normal for them to be a little bit scared.

Imagine yourself 3 weeks after hatching, still don't know about the world you were born into, and a giant picking you up and cuddling you. I would be a little bit scared wouldn't you?

Question 2 answers: The best way to socialize is to just keep holding them.

Question 3 answers: It depends, if the bathroom is small, you might want to put them in a larger area. Also, do you keep the lights on in there? I think it's best to keep the lights on if you haven't already.

Now I hold my chick whenever I have time. I suggest you do the same. That's what I do.

ChickensAreFantastic!

BTW, I wish you luck on your new chicks 🐔🐔🐔🐔
Thank you for all the tips. I do understand why they'd be scared. I just couldn't recall if they just naturally get over this with time or whether I need to actively try to socialize them with holding, etc. Only one red orpington doesn't seem frightened by me; she lets me pet her and stroke her beak and will jump into the palm of my hand but she doesn't like it when I pick her up. The others run off when I try to touch them. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to try to hold all six of them several times a day so I've just been rotating.

The bathroom is relatively small. I've been leaving their heat lamp on 24/7 and reducing the temp by 5 degrees each week. They seem to be comfortable with their temp. There's a window in the bathroom so when it's sunny, I just leave the blind open. I leave the bath light on sometimes but not all day. I figured the regular day light was enough. Is that incorrect? Should I give them more light? I also read somewhere that perhaps I don't need to l leave the heat lamp on 24/7 anymore. How and when do I wean them off of that?

Thanks to all of you for all of your help. Here are a few pix of my little pecker heads. (And I call them that affectionately.) :)
Those are adorable . my hens are wondering why can't we go in lol

Attachments

• DSC_7237.JPG
    DSC_7237.JPG
    618 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC_7238.JPG
    DSC_7238.JPG
    679.5 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC_7241.JPG
    DSC_7241.JPG
    333.5 KB · Views: 5
I think the more they are exposed the better they can adapt. I keep mine in my office in a large dog kennel, with the top open (wire across to prevent escaping) and a wire door on one side so they can see us. We've had this set since day one, and they still run around like we are going to kill them when we walk over, but I think that's more just "I'm a prey animal" type reaction. We hold them several times a day, and give them treats. We let them roam on the floor and now outside a bit (I have 3, they are 3 and 4 weeks) and they really like that. They still run when we try to pick them up, but settle quickly. Our dog stays behind gates but can get close enough to sniff them, and they certainly hear her barking, and us talking all day. One nice thing about this isolation is my daughter is always home and gets to spend a lot of time with them. Normally she is in school most of the day and misses them. Just keep holding and offering treats. They will get used to you but remember, they are a prey animal, so instinct will win out for a while.

Back
Top Bottom