Sod Plastic Mesh/Netting Under Grass...Should I Be Concerned

My Three Chicks

Crowing
May 3, 2021
Seattle, WA
My chickens are digging up grass in their run and I'm in the process of adding flooring on top. However, where they've scratched/dug down, I can see that the sod still has the plastic mesh/netting that comes underneath it when you buy sod. See pic. Is this something I need to be concerned with? I don't think the chickens will be able to break off and eat it but not sure. And if I should be concerned, what is there that I can I do about it??
20211003_142001.jpg

They aren't likely to get tangled in it unless it's loose, so that's not a major issue. I would be more concerned about them picking at and swallowing any broken strings. Plastic definitely doesn't digest well!
Removing it depends on where it's located. If it's in their enclosed run, I'd pull it. Your birds are going to destroy the grass over it, anyway, so you won't really be hurting the greens. If it's out in the yard, can you keep them off of the area until the grass covers it over again? Another option would be to build up the soil cover. If the mesh is biodegradable, just try to keep them off of it ... I know ... easier said than done, right?
In the future, you can save a lot of money (and backache) by avoiding lined sod sheets completely. A simple seeding covered with a burlap cover works wonders, and there's no danger to your birds.
BTW - That's a neat picture and she's a very pretty lady!

They aren't likely to get tangled in it unless it's loose, so that's not a major issue. I would be more concerned about them picking at and swallowing any broken strings. Plastic definitely doesn't digest well!
Removing it depends on where it's located. If it's in their enclosed run, I'd pull it. Your birds are going to destroy the grass over it, anyway, so you won't really be hurting the greens. If it's out in the yard, can you keep them off of the area until the grass covers it over again? Another option would be to build up the soil cover. If the mesh is biodegradable, just try to keep them off of it ... I know ... easier said than done, right?
In the future, you can save a lot of money (and backache) by avoiding lined sod sheets completely. A simple seeding covered with a burlap cover works wonders, and there's no danger to your birds.
BTW - That's a neat picture and she's a very pretty lady!
Thanks MROO. It's in their enclosed run so I think I better remove it. I'll pull it out as they dig down to that depth.

(This was before the digging frenzy began!)
20210829_185841.jpg

Thanks MROO. It's in their enclosed run so I think I better remove it. I'll pull it out as they dig down to that depth.

(This was before the digging frenzy began!)
View attachment 2854755
Nice setup! One thing you may want to seriously consider, though, is putting mesh around and a solid top over your heat pump/AC unit. If you don't, you're gonna have one mell-uv-a-hess with chicken poo and feathers! :D

Back
Top Bottom