Soft egg & now lethargic

ihavesilkies

Hatching
6 Years
May 14, 2013
My silkie hen laid a very soft egg 2-3 days ago and has been really lethargic the last two days and has not laid another egg yet. She doesn't seem to be egg bound and is still pooping. what do I do? Why was her egg soft? She is about 8 months old and has been laying normal eggs the last 2 months.

are you certain she is not egg bound? a calcium pill might help. every so often chickens will lay a lash egg or rubbery egg and if it does not happen often and they resume laying normally its not much cause for alarm however she has Not resumed laying normally. have you done a vent exam to see if you can feel an egg in case she does have egg binding? I would start there. also the calcium pill could stimulate her to lay. let us know what you find with the vent exam. best wishes.

She is so fluffy and I am very nervous of breaking an egg if she does have another soft one in her... Any tips?

I had a hen do this to me once. I never found out what was wrong with her but after I put cut garlic in her water she started up again. Hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom