'Soft Egg' - what is going on?

familyguy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 27, 2009
I have 7 backyard chickens all about 1.5 yrs old and they are doing wonderful! Even now in January I am getting a consistant egg production of 5 - 7 eggs a day. Today, however, there was something strange. I got 7 eggs but one was a soft egg ... not transparent but certainly a cream color and the 'shell' was almost rubbery. what is going on? I feed them layer pellets along with sunflower and flax seed and leftovers from the kitchen. also make them oatmeal on cold winter mornings. Is there something missing? Was this a once in awhile happening or is it something I should worry about? Thanks for all your help!

It's a shell-less egg. Either means your girl isn't getting enough calcium or just that she messed up in her tubing somewhere along the way and forgot to finish the egg for you. Unbelievably, it's edible.

If it happens often, give her either oyster shells, or put some of your egg shells that you have used in your kitchen in the oven. Bake at 350 for 3 minutes, then crush to fine pieces to make the egg shell unnoticeable.

Back
Top Bottom