'Soft Egg' - what is going on?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by familyguy, Jan 18, 2011.

1. familyguy

familyguy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2009
    I have 7 backyard chickens all about 1.5 yrs old and they are doing wonderful! Even now in January I am getting a consistant egg production of 5 - 7 eggs a day. Today, however, there was something strange. I got 7 eggs but one was a soft egg ... not transparent but certainly a cream color and the 'shell' was almost rubbery. what is going on? I feed them layer pellets along with sunflower and flax seed and leftovers from the kitchen. also make them oatmeal on cold winter mornings. Is there something missing? Was this a once in awhile happening or is it something I should worry about? Thanks for all your help!

2. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    This is something that happens every once in a while. I usually feed it to my dog.

3. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    It's a shell-less egg. Either means your girl isn't getting enough calcium or just that she messed up in her tubing somewhere along the way and forgot to finish the egg for you. Unbelievably, it's edible.

4. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    This happens every now and then. If it happens any more give them some oyster shell.

5. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    If it happens often, give her either oyster shells, or put some of your egg shells that you have used in your kitchen in the oven. Bake at 350 for 3 minutes, then crush to fine pieces to make the egg shell unnoticeable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by