Soft Honk Hen

dbard314

Hatching
Jan 1, 2021
I'm not exactly sure if that is an accurate description but I am not sure I would call it wheezing. My hen was fine this morning but when I went in late afternoon it sounded sort of like a soft honking noise. I went out and bought VetRx and after struggling to find the best way to administer, I just rubbed her head/nose and under her wings with some. What could this be? If she had some respiratory infection, would it just come on like that out of the blue?

Haven't you ever had the flu? One minute, you're fine, next minute you have a splitting headache, fever, dizziness and you're horizontal within ten minutes. Upper respiratory illnesses act very swiftly.

VetRX is like Vicks. It only comforts symptoms and it's not a cure. Many chicken respiratory infections will resolve on their own, but sometimes it requires an antibiotic if a secondary bacterial infection sets in. Usually, Tylan 50 or Tylosin soluble powder will treat it.

There is another possibility. Look in her mouth and see if there's any obstruction in her throat or around her tongue. The inside of a chicken's mouth should be smooth and pink. If you see gummy plaque, and it's surrounding her throat, she can suffocate unless treated. You may need to try to remove whatever is blocking her airway.

Back
Top Bottom