Soft shell egg

Rhode Island Annie

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2020
I found an egg in the nest box this morning that basically had no shell on it. It was soft, pliable and held together by a very thick membrane. The hens get layer pellets, scratch and oyster shell. But, I recently introduced new (4 mo old) hens to the group, so I switched to chick feed. I had read that it wouldn't hurt the older hens and they have only been on it for a week. Wondering if stress could be a part of it or is this a sick bird? Can the eggs go soft after just a week w/o layer pellets and o-shell?

Feed them grower feed instead of chick starter, the extra protein might be better . Also refrain from giving the scratch as a nutritional food supplement because it's not well balanced just primarily a treat.
I've never feed different age groups together so I can't advise on the extra calcium the younger ones might be getting being inadvertently but others have mixed age flocks and don't follow rules and don't seem to have issues so maybe they'll chime in.

I found an egg in the nest box this morning that basically had no shell on it. It was soft, pliable and held together by a very thick membrane. The hens get layer pellets, scratch and oyster shell. But, I recently introduced new (4 mo old) hens to the group, so I switched to chick feed. I had read that it wouldn't hurt the older hens and they have only been on it for a week. Wondering if stress could be a part of it or is this a sick bird? Can the eggs go soft after just a week w/o layer pellets and o-shell?
You introduced 4 month old pullets to your flock - this can be stressful for all and likely the reason for the soft shelled egg.
Is integration going o.k.? Plenty of space/room for everyone?

The chick starter should be fine.

You introduced 4 month old pullets to your flock - this can be stressful for all and likely the reason for the soft shelled egg.
Is integration going o.k.? Plenty of space/room for everyone?

The chick starter should be fine.
There is plenty of room for everyone to run. (I pen them in separate areas at night). There is definitely some bullying but nothing violent. I had read several articles that said it is ok to introduce them to each other slowly at this age. Please let me know if this is not advised.

Back
Top Bottom