Soft shell egg?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jwatts, Oct 22, 2011.

1. jwatts

jwatts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I just noticed a soft shelled egg in the coop,what does this mean? should i be concerned? thank you

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    It may mean your girls are not getting enough calcuim. You can try supplementing with oyster shells, yogurt, whey, etc.

If you see regular soft-shelled eggs, then you definately need to increase calcuim intake. If you only see one, ever, then you probably don't need to worry. Everyone has a bad day now and then, even chickens.

3. mommanessy247

mommanessy247 New Egg

Oct 21, 2011
    on mypetchicken.com theres feed supplements like that oyster shell stuff & theres also omega ultra egg supplement. its mainly good for adding omega 3 into the eggs but also for strong shells too.
    couldnt hurt to do both.
    the feeding directions are these: (i looked 'em up...)

oyster shell:
    add 1 lb to every 10 lbs of their regular feed

omega ultra egg:
    for 5 chickens - add 1/4 cup to their regular feed
    for 10 chickens - add 1/2 cup to their regular feed

i'm assuming you just increase the amt by 1/4 cup p/ 5 chickens

4. jwatts

jwatts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    thanks everyone,I'll have to keep an eye on them and see.

5. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    I have 1 who is still laying soft shelled eggs after several weeks, I am giving yogurt, feeding them back the egg shells and each day I am finding a soft shelled egg under the roosting pole. If I can get them before they are broken I scramble them for the girls...hoping that she will start laying hard eggs soon! good luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by