Soft shelled eggs?

chickengirl778

Songster
Apr 17, 2017
Hi all!
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a lot of soft shelled eggs. I can't figure out which hen is laying them, but she lays about one soft-shelled eggs about once a week. They the other chickens step on them, and make a runny mess. I'm worried they will start eating them, and also concerned why the soft-shelled eggs aren't stopping. I provide continuous oyster shell supply, and all suspected hens are 1-2 years old. I can't figure out why this is happening! Thoughts?

Some hens have shell glands that fatigue sooner than others.

Maybe try putting the oyster shell in several locations so that all hens can access equally, just in case somebody isn't getting her fair share.

Since its only about once a week, I'm not suspecting disease. If you suddenly had egg number drop, or a bunch of birds laying soft shell, then I'd suspect Infectious Bronchitis or Egg Drop Syndrome.

But one hen laying the odd egg about once a week is likely an internal matter for just that hen or a hen who isn't getting enough calcium.

You could try worming in case systems are run down a bit from worm overload.

My thoughts.
LofMc

Often a hen who has suffered from Newcastle disease, or Infectious Bronchitis will develop a deformed ovary or shellglan as a complication of these diseases. When this is the reason for the soft shelled eggs, there is little that you can do to help.

Sometimes this deformity will result in egg peritonitis or internal laying because the deformed reproductive organs are unable to catch the egg yoke when it falls and the yokes build up in the hens' body cavity until infection sets in and then the old master calles her over the rainbow to frolic & play with the unicorns.

I also suspect that every egg that she lays is a soft shell egg. Another side effect of the diseases mentioned is much lower egg production. A little food coloring around the vent (different colors for every hen) can indicate which hen laid which egg. That is something for you to think about doing. If every soft shell egg has just one color on it then you have found your culprit. This is especially true if this color food coloring is missing from all the other eggs in the coop.

Last edited:
I provide continuous oyster shell supply, and all suspected hens are 1-2 years old. I can't figure out why this is happening! Thoughts?
How long has this been going on?
My first thought is that it's molting time, production is slowing down and you can get some funky eggs around molting time.

Is OS in a separate container from feed?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?

The OS is in a designated spot of the feeder, in one spot in the trough. Sometimes I also sprinkle it on the ground. They are also fed black oil sunflower seeds regularly, as well as kitchen scraps, and they free range sometimes.

Have you seen lots of soft feathers around your coop and run ?

I agree with @aart its molting time , my soft shells have mostly stopped ,I had a few each week . Feathers are coming in , ready for winter.
As the season progress I hope yours stops too .

Good luck and have fun

Last edited:
I was just telling hubby , I feel so proud when we get 18 beautiful huge eggs , but when we get 8 I feel personally responsible,
I just want to squeeze them out !!

Back
Top Bottom