Soldier Gifts for Those In Iraq....AWESOME pics!!!!

****Edited to remove dh's info. he'll be moved to another area come the mid of Nov. and thus no more packages sent at this time would arrive to him. Thank you one and all for your support.

****My husband told me to say "Thank You" to my friends and that he appreciates the prayers...they've been blessed and safe.

Dh says those guys need laundry detergent and white tall garbage bags. Says the px has been out for a long time. Kind of seems funny sending him that stuff but they need it. And he likes honey and flavored coffeee instant. Has to ship out by Oct. 31st to reach him...they will soon be in transition.

oh and those small travel packs of baby wipes. They always are wiping stuff down because of the sand and dh carries one pack in one of his pockets everyday.

and my nephew...

***Edited to remove my nephew's name. Thank you all for reaching out.

(Nick is the only child to dh's oldest sister. Wisconsin born and raised. Now spending a couple years in Japan. Guys from his battalion are getting picked to go to Iraq. He's hoping he's not picked and would rather stay in Japan or go to Korea if he has to. He's into sports and just tore the ligament in his thumb playing football....kids.)

One thing I might add...dh has NO idea what BYC is...when we talk, I'm sorry to say...it has not been about BYC.

**I dare someone to send dh 2 lil chicken mascots to bring home to his 2 little girls since he's scheduled to come home this late December ("Don't hold your breathe." was the remark about the exact date they are scheduled back...from the family readiness group.) after his 15 month stint.

Last time a Granny was handing out beanie baby camo bears to the soldiers when they got off the plane. He tucked it in one of his many pockets and our 2 year old had fun digging in his pockets when daddy got home, showing him the things she found...sunglasses, gum, reciepts, wallet, toothpicks, pocket knife, coins, dog tags, a pack of tissue, army hat...

There were a lot of pockets....and the army bear.

Of course this made our, at the time 6 year old little girl, very sad, that daddy didn't bring her a toy. They only handed out one bear to each soldier.

Nice of them but flawed. So daddy gave her his army hat...she still wanted the beanie baby. It's so hard to be a kid sometimes.

Anyway,
If my hubby recieves something from a byc'er, let me extend my warmest most humbest blessing to you and yours now.

Regards,
Gretchen

Last edited:
Anyway,
If my hubby recieves something from a byc'er, let me extend my warmest most humbest blessing to you and yours now.

Regards,
Gretchen

...and to you and yours for the sacrifice of separating your family for this war-time effort.
hugs.gif

Oh wow....

I just discovered this thread... Thank You so much Darlene...

Just a short brief on Troy's Place....

I am Athena, a civilian contractor assigned at Joint Base Balad....and altho I have a 12 hr a day, 7 day a week job, supporting our combat operations, I also work a min of 3 hours per day as volunteer coodinator at Troy's. In a nutshell, I have not had a day off...in seven months....but, nothing can stop me from being here in the company of these unbelievable men and women who defend our country and our way of life.

As the volunteer coordinator at Troy's, my job is to make sure everything runs as smoothly as possible at Troy's, and that we offer a lil bit of home to every Airman, Soldier, Marine or Sailor that comes walking through our threshold.

Maj Troy Gilbert was a Balad based pilot KIA on 27 Nov 2006. On that day, he was firing at insurgents from his F-16, trying to help Army troops that was basically pinned down, and almost out of ammo. His efforts that day saved many of those troops from death.
Troy swooped down several times in his acft, trying to take out a truck that carried insurgents and a huge gun, that was pinning down these troops.
On his last sweep, and just prior to his death, he was able to take out that truck.
Troy's acft crashed shortly thereafter, and he was killed.
Insurgents picked up his body, and to this day, we have yet to recover it.

Troy left behind an adoring wife, and 5 small children.

While Troy was stationed at Balad, he was very involved with volunteering at the theater hospital, and at the chapel. He mentored many young troops and to this day, I run across many people who knew him and worked with him. Many of these same people have been here on their 4th, 5th and 6th deployments.

To be honest, its difficult for many to even step into Troy's Place, as so much in our building carries his vision, his story, his photos. When they speak to me of him, tears well in their eyes. It's these stories and Troy's impact on this base, that makes me continue to help in any way I can. I am among so many hero's.

Just to give you an idea, Troy's Place is a huge trailer if you will, outside the chapel grounds. You can hardly see it, as it is surrounded by concrete barriers called T-barriers. But once inside our doors, its as close to home as you can get, given the environment.

Troy's is a quiet, unassuming place meant to welcome weary soldiers and airman after a long day. We offer respite, as there is no other quiet place to go to on base. Many troops have multiple roommates, and thus even your own "hooch" isn't always quiet or home... In essence, we try to make Troy's Place, a lil Home away from Home.

We have 2 TV rooms, and one of those has a couple of sofa's and a coffee table.. (just like home), a reading room with books and magazines of all topics sent in via donations, 2 PC stations where troops can access email, a writing area where troops have access to stationary, cards...again, all donations, a coffee bar, where coffee is fresh and always made for when you come in, and of course our "lil country store" where we have...whatever has been donated on our shelves.

Absolutely nothing donated stays on the shelves for long... Once we get stuff in, it goes on the shelves, and within hours its in the hands of someone needing that item.

For some strange reason, we go days at a time without any donations coming in, whether its the economy, gas prices, or just summer in general, we are out of so many basic essentials. So, my appeal if you will, is, please look at the items on our list.. you might have those items just lying around at home, in your pantry or linen closet collecting dust.. well, I can put them to good use.

Because, in addition to stocking Troy's, we also send out boxes of requested items (when we have it) to FOB's, or forward operating bases.. where there is such a limited supply of items these troops outside the wire have access to.

And here is another thought... these commanders outside the wire, always request candy, small toys, school supplies and SOCCER BALLS for their troops on patrol to hand out to the little Iraqi children who have so very little. These simple acts of kindness builds repoire..and friendships with local Iraqi's which go a long way in our rebuilding efforts.

When you think, these troops complete with body armor, M-16 rifles, helmuts... can be an intimidating site for anyone, let alone a child... but a piece of candy and a beanie baby later, a smile is formed.. and a possible friendship has been made.
One smile, one child, one friend..at a time.....

You can address a box to me, but ALWAYS put Troy's Place on the package. The postal service, once you have left will forward it back to the states. We want these to stay in Iraq long after I have gone, to benefit those who need those items.

NOTE:
If anyone wants photos of life in Iraq, outside the wire, PM me, with your email address and I will add you to my list. These photos are taken by military photographers and not seen in mainstream media. They are of our troops and of Iraqi's...

Thanks for reading this long winded post...

Athena

Quote:
Gretchen...

I can get small trash bags (clear, from supply),...and some detergent. I will run down to the small shoppette in our area, and see if they have detergent. If they do, I will pick up a doz packets... and ship to him. I have a few days before I put a box together for him, so, please ask if his troops need anything else??

I have plenty of coffee, tea, razors at Troy's... I am out of so many items, but, I will send what I have.. just ask him what he needs and PM to me.

OH and another thing I have plenty of is gatorade - dry drink mixes for 2 liter size bottles.. At least 3 flavors, I can send those if they need.

When my husband was sent to Iraq, I used this website alot! www.minimus.biz They used to have free shipping over $20 but I am not sure if that is still available. The prices are cheap and much easier than going to the store and buying everything. They have soo many choices on individual sized items. I think you are all doing a great thing!

My husband said they can not hand out candy or food to Iraqi children. Though the children beg and the soldier's want to toss them a candy bar...but it is a no no and they are not allowed to do it anymore.

I don't know exactly but I think it had something to do with, them worrying if it's a trap...and thier attention is not focused at the job at hand...

But he did say they got to go in and hand out medicine and such to a village and they were very happy that American troops were there. I think that's a scenario where troops can mingle more.

Anyway...

Thank you all and yes, clear bags is fine, and gatorade would be welcomed.

And I don't know really when to expect to hear from him? I try emails but he says he's not getting mine and the one's he sends me are getting sent back to him? So I don't know what's going on there? And he's on the road alot so...

I can at least try to send an email but theres no gaurantee. Sometimes communications goes out for one reason or other...sandstorms and rocket attacks or just poor satellite signal...

I know my dh likes to take vitamins like 1 a day...kind of stuff. eating can be so irregular at times with missions... gum is good to since they drive alot...keeps him alert.

he has a microwave he bought from the Georgia troops that were shipping out, so he can do popcorn, easy mac and chz, and instant coffee. comes in handy when he goes out on a mission and comes back and the kitchen is closed.

anyway...I bet he'll be greatly touched by the outpouring of love and support.

Back
Top Bottom